Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

how far would you go to make a better life for you and your kids??

Posted by   + Show Post
ok so the past few years have just gone completely down hill for us, i got divorced after being abused mentally and physically for 2 years and since doing that he went home to mexico and left me alone with our 3 children. things were ok at first, me and my kids lived with my sister, i was working for the first time since i was 15, ( my ex let me be a SAHM) and i met someone great. i was eventually able to get an apartment for me and kids, i got remarried to the greatest man ever and then things went down hill fast, first my husbands visa expired, hes native of dominican republic, and we took to long to to renew it and he had to go back, then i got laid off from my job and had to move in with my parents in a different town. my dh wont be able to return for probably 6 months, our savings are gone and there are no jobs here. im depressed, me and my kids miss my dh dearly, and with income taxes coming, ty Lord for those, i was planning on using them to get our own place but then if i still cant find a job, im screwed. my dh and i were thinking maybe i could use my taxes and me and my kids go to the dom. republic and stay there. there we have a house, i will have a job ( yea, i cant get a job in my country but another country i get one on the spot). we will all be together, and finally be stable again. i know we cant be any worse off than we are now, here i have no job, no house, there ill have great job, and our own house. no brainer right? me and my kids are fluent in spanish, and ive been there before, its nice there. so i know my kids will be fine, but even better, we can take care of them the way they deserve. i would do anything for my kids to be taken care of. and if that means living in the caribbean for a while, then so be it, right?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Replies (21-28):
momofthree431
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:14 PM
if i could leave now i would, but a move this takes planning and money, we will be going after income taxes, praise income taxes, ill get enough back to pay off bills and move. thank all you ladies with the positive feed back, all in all its my desicion, but your positive attitudes and words truly help, so thank you all * hugs*

Quoting 98765:

So, if life would be better there, you would all be together and the kids are okay with it, why arent you on a plane yet?

aimesnyc
by Amy on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:20 PM

What kind of immigration fees do they charge?  Meaning, do you need to file papers to work there, etc, like an immigrant in the US does?  I think you should do what you feel best, but also take the immigration fees and paperwork of another country into consideration.

manamott
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I would do it. Sounds like a better opportunity for your family. Kids are ok with it...do it! Best of luck to you!

inlovewithmy2
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:06 AM
1 mom liked this

if that what it takes for u to be with ur husband and have employment and a place to live then it sounds like that is whats best for ur family.. go for it. there are some ignorant responses on here smh

swthrt737
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Go on with that and don't mind the why and whats of people,i too would do that.
Good luck dear.
Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:32 AM
1 mom liked this

The kids need their Dad, if you feel in your gut it's the right thing to do then do it. Your kids and you will still be citizens of the U.S.?

beeky
by Alexandra on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:01 AM
1 mom liked this

If you want to move to another country, then do it.  That's what I did.  We moved from England to Canada 13 years ago and we couldn't be happier.

Just be aware that American citizens living abroad still have to pay income tax to the US so you should look into that.

momofthree431
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this
our citizenship status will not change while we are there, this is one of the first things i investigated lol

Quoting Lindalou907:

The kids need their Dad, if you feel in your gut it's the right thing to do then do it. Your kids and you will still be citizens of the U.S.?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN