Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

ETA went to drop my wedding band off at zales &

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:52 PM
  • 70 Replies
I was standing next to this couple. She had a beautiful wedding set on her finger. They were about my hubs age, low thirties perhaps. As I handed my fully paid off rings to the lady to schedule to fitting I couldn't help but listen to them on the phone with the zales customer svc

"well yes I understand we haven't been making payments. Well yes I understand we are behind. Well ok what's the past due? What's the minimum payment? What's the total? "

Then she looked at her husband and said can we afford this payment today? And he shook his head no. I felt sort of bad. But then again I was like WTH why would you finance something when you could have saved up and paid it off kwim?

So there they stood helpless. About to be sued over a ring!

ETA It isn't so much of a judgment as it is an overall expectation of mine, pay cash vs finance. This is a perfect reason why. Like I said I felt bad but then I realized they financed it knowing they couldn't afford it because unlike the few women here most people finance things because they can't afford them. Not a judgment, fact!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomRocs1102
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:05 PM
2 moms liked this

That's sad, but you don't know the situation someone could have lost a job, pay cut or something major came up.  Hope they get it handled before it goes to court.

lillybug222
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:10 PM
5 moms liked this
You don't know the situation.

My DH made great money & I had a stable job making decent money.

He got sick & lost his job.

Our house was foreclosed on & our credit is in the toilet. Unfortunately, I've had too many of those conversations over the phone. And we only have one credit card. But, we have other bills....hospital bills, medical bills, utility bills...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PROGENITOR
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:30 PM
7 moms liked this

I think many women put too much into the whole engagment ring thing. They want something big and fancy. Their SOs feel like they have to live up to some silly dream that their girl has had since childhood about her perfect ring.

It is a piece of metal and a stone. If it is to symbolize the love a couple has for one another then shouldn't it be a ring that is realistic for them.....or maybe their love story is unrealistic and the ring simply reflects that.

pittymama
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:09 AM
1 mom liked this

why were you evesdropping? you don't know their situation. i'm sure there were plenty of other things said between "well yes i understand we haven't been making payments" and "well yes i understand we're behind" and "well ok what's past due" that you aren't including in your story.

lapcounter
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:44 AM
Perfectly put.

Quoting PROGENITOR:

I think many women put too much into the whole engagment ring thing. They want something big and fancy. Their SOs feel like they have to live up to some silly dream that their girl has had since childhood about her perfect ring.

It is a piece of metal and a stone. If it is to symbolize the love a couple has for one another then shouldn't it be a ring that is realistic for them.....or maybe their love story is unrealistic and the ring simply reflects that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TexasWife
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:00 AM
1 mom liked this

My husband did  supposedly to try to rebuild his credit. We never fell behind though and my ring didn't cost as much an anyone might think. lol. I just love how you said "my fully paid off rings."

Mrs.Pedro
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:10 AM
I actually did a finance with Zales lol. BUT! My rings were pretty cheap, and we paid MAYBE $200 down and I think it was $60/month, but we paid it off in about 2.5/3 months. It wasn't my choice... I just wanted a simple band, but my husband coerced me to also get the engagement ring lol. I think people just don't think about things in the future... I made sure that whatever I chose could be paid off fairly quickly.
Serenity7
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Many people buy things they can not afford

TwinmomAlicia
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this
That sucks. I feel nothing but sympathy for them. How embarrassing. :(
ProudMommy51006
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:49 AM
How sad. You don’t know their situation.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)