Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Your dress

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:11 PM
  • 53 Replies

I just saw a commercial for a new show coming on TLC called "Something borrowed, something new" or something like that. Its about altering your mothers dress and wearing it or choosing a new one altogether. Well it got me thinking...

Has anyone in here worn a handed down dress from mom? Did you have it altered? Or did you buy your own, and if you did, would you encourage your DD or maybe future DIL to wear it?

Pregnancy Ticker

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MsRkg
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:14 PM
I bought my own dresses. My mother's was completely out of date/style and the only way I would wear my MIL is if I was dead and had no say. I would never ask my dil to wear mine either that's crossing a line in my opinion.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bakerytreatz16
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:16 PM
My mother wore a short, black, dress...id like to be more
Traditional ...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ittyprincess604
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:17 PM

lol line seriously cracks me up! But i agree, I wore my own, and would want my DD or future DIL to wear her own as well.

Quoting MsRkg:

I bought my own dresses. My mother's was completely out of date/style and the only way I would wear my MIL is if I was dead and had no say. I would never ask my dil to wear mine either that's crossing a line in my opinion.

Pregnancy Ticker

AlannaMaria
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:18 PM
I bought mine
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kjbugsmom1517
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this
My mom and my mil both had similar styles but were not the traditional types od wedding dresses. Someday we will have a wedding and ill have a dress. It would be amazing of my girls would want to wear it as they would probably have some say in the choosing. They could both wear it or one it wouldnt matter to me. But if they wanted to it would be an honor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mharleyghal
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:20 PM
I thought I wanted to wear my mom's dress, but once I got engaged the thrill and excitement of dress shopping won me over. I was blessed to have my mom with me and she paid for my dress too. :)

I would want my daughter to choose for herself. Styles change so whatever she decides, I will be happy either way.
TS9509
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:20 PM
I bought mine. My mom and dad eloped so she didn't have a wedding dress.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ittyprincess604
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:22 PM

My mom wore a womans dress suit. I got my own dress and it was not a very traditional dress at all, tight, short but its me. I would want my DD to have her own unique dress! Though if she asked I would probably let her have it. 

supermomz25
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I bought my own dress, but I didn't get to wear it because I was way to pregnant when we got married. on our 10 year anniversary we are hoping to take actual wedding pictures and then I will be able to wear the dress.

-mrs.mamma-
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:51 PM
my Mom actually borrowed her wedding dress, lol. so there was no dress to "hand down".
bought my own. I'll keep it. not sure what I'll do with it. don't have a daughter.
*shrug*
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN