Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Applying for my visa to move to

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:03 AM
  • 6 Replies
2 moms liked this
Australia! I'm scared but excited. We've been together for three years and he's been flying to see me every month and now we've decided it's time to make a move, and Perth seems like the best spot. It's such a big change, plus I have two kids.. Has anyone ever moved to another country, like other side of the world? I know it's gonna be tough, so any advise would be nice!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
furbabymum
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I moved to Japan with my DH when I was 18. No kids. Would be totally different with kids. Plus it was military. We didnt' live on base but we had the usual American ementities close by if we wanted them. I have to say I adjusted really well and loved our years in Japan.

I've got a lot of Aussie friends and they seem like the awesomest people. Totally different sense of humor though. I rather love them all. I hope it works out for you!

proudmommy690
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this
How exciting. Good luck with it all!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AtillaTheHun
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I moved from Europe to the US to be with my husband. It was quite a change but it was also very exciting :) A solid plan and getting everything in order is the key to avoid too much stress, IMO. Learn about the country you are moving to, the people, economy, healthcare sysem, the culture, and the area you want to settle down, this will give you more confidence once you get there. I have family in Australia and I LOVE their accent :) This is quite a big step big step. I wish you the best of luck that everything goes smooth for you guys! :)
anotherandree
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this

My husband (then friend, soon to be boyfriend, soon to be husband) was living in England and I was living in Indiana.  When I graduated from college, my graduation present was a week long trip to see him (remember, he was just a friend living out there).  I fell in love with him and England!  I came back to Indiana, packed up 6 boxes and 3 cats, sold my car and moved to England!  Even though I was planning on lving there, I bought a round trip ticket just in case it did not work out.  I gave myself 4 months.  That also gave me 4 months to find a job that would sponser me.  (I never used the ticket.)  

Yes, it was scary, but it was AWESOME!  He was there as a contractor but we immursed ourselves in the culture.  We shopped on the economy instead of using the base and had British friends.  So many people move to another country and then hang out with Americans.  The only thing is that when I got pregnant, we drove to London where there was an American base because I was DYING for Taco Bell! :)

Good Luck and ENJOY you adventure!

firefly63701
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Never been out of the country but it sounds like an adventure.  :)

LilliesValley
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this
I've never done it but it sounds awesome. Good luck.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN