Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Did you have a baby shower ?

Posted by   + Show Post
Did you have a baby shower?
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Replies (41-50):
emarin77
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Yes.  A large one.  Both sides of the family came.

Angela_Barlow
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:29 PM
I have 5 kids. I've had a few showers:)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
earthangel1967
by YVONNE on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I was given 3 separate babyshowers when I was pregnant for my first child at 18

I didnt have any babyshowers for the next 3 kids

View Full Size ImageYVONNE

AnGLInterrupted
by Kendall on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:27 PM

That's what we did.  We literally found out on payday (thank God it was payday) that we were to pick the child up and bring her home.  We had NOTHING!!  We spent all of our paycheck on baby stuff and paid the bills with the next paycheck LOL.  Worth the stress of it though, 100%.

I asked my mom why my SIL got like 2-3 showers per kid and I got zilch and she said that because we were adoping people were nervous about spending $$ on presents that we might have to return because the birth mother might change her mind.

In MY HEAD I'm thinking..  okay most people have 9 months to prepare.  We had 72 hours, literally.  If anyone could have USED the help..  but whatever.  The end result is we have a beautiful little girl!  :)

Quoting iluvsn85:

Wow we must have the same family. We purchased everything on our own.

Quoting AnGLInterrupted:

Nope.  We had 3 days notice from the time we found out about her and the time we brought her home.  Because we were adopting, family members didn't want to spend the time and the money on a shower in case the birth mother changed her mind.  So I kind of got "screwed" out of a shower.

iluvsn85
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:34 PM
Atleast you will have a good story for when shes older. Our children came from foster care they were 5 mon and 21 mon old when we got them. No one came over to see use when we got them or got us gifts, which whatever. But everyone else it the family gets huge showers and my Grandmother makes dinners fir them for a month.. lol like I said my family sucks.

Quoting AnGLInterrupted:

That's what we did.  We literally found out on payday (thank God it was payday) that we were to pick the child up and bring her home.  We had NOTHING!!  We spent all of our paycheck on baby stuff and paid the bills with the next paycheck LOL.  Worth the stress of it though, 100%.

I asked my mom why my SIL got like 2-3 showers per kid and I got zilch and she said that because we were adoping people were nervous about spending $$ on presents that we might have to return because the birth mother might change her mind.

In MY HEAD I'm thinking..  okay most people have 9 months to prepare.  We had 72 hours, literally.  If anyone could have USED the help..  but whatever.  The end result is we have a beautiful little girl!  :)

Quoting iluvsn85:

Quoting AnGLInterrupted:

Nope.  We had 3 days notice from the time we found out about her and the time we brought her home.  Because we were adopting, family members didn't want to spend the time and the money on a shower in case the birth mother changed her mind.  So I kind of got "screwed" out of a shower.

AnGLInterrupted
by Kendall on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:35 PM

It took 3 years for the adoption to complete.  I sat back kind of hoping they would at least throw a party of sorts but no.  Everyone kind of congratulated us and moved on.  I expressed to my mom that it would have been nice to have a party thrown for us..  forget the presents.  Some acknowledgement would have been nice.  But oh well.

ETA:  We brought her home before the adoption was final.  We found out about her on a Teusday, met her on a Thursday* (got the day mixed up..  it wasn't Wednesday LOL) and brought her home on a Friday.  She was just a month old then.  We had her home for nearly 3 years before the adoption was complete.

Quoting IansMommy2012:

Why did you have one after everything was settled and she was home?

Quoting AnGLInterrupted:

momromtheheart
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Yes
AnGLInterrupted
by Kendall on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Her story is pretty amazing.  I'll admit to that.  One of these days I'll get my shower.  We'll either adopt again or God will grant us a different kind of miracle and we'll get pregnant!  :)

That's awesome that you adopted from foster care.  We've thought about doing that, down the road.  DD was a surprise baby..  she was privately adopted.

Quoting iluvsn85:

Atleast you will have a good story for when shes older. Our children came from foster care they were 5 mon and 21 mon old when we got them. No one came over to see use when we got them or got us gifts, which whatever. But everyone else it the family gets huge showers and my Grandmother makes dinners fir them for a month.. lol like I said my family sucks.

Quoting AnGLInterrupted:

Quoting iluvsn85:

Quoting AnGLInterrupted:

Ksmomy
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:50 PM
I had 1 for dd1. I really didn't want 1 for dd2 but my coworkers wouldn't let me get out of having a baby shower. I refused a work bridal shower at work so they didn't take "no" for an answer to a babyshower.

Also, dd2 was DH 1st biological child so his family was so excited to give me a shower. I hate having shower and HATE going to them. I'd rather just send a gift.
.Nobody.
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:51 PM
Yep. I went from having nothing to having EVERYTHING in one day. My family is awesome :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN