Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

tax question

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:25 AM
  • 9 Replies
OK my hubby owes money. What form do i use to get my refund if we file jointly. Innocent or injured. Has anyone done it themselves.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
AnGLInterrupted
by Kendall on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Do you mean that your husband owes money to the IRS from previous tax years?

If so, then you go ahead and file as normal.  There will be a spot somewhere (if I remember correctly) for you to fill out if you owe the IRS any money.  Believe me, they have records of it.  Your tax refund will not reflect the money that you owe and the money that you owe will be taken out of our refund.  At least that's the way they did it with us.

H&R Block messed us up big time on year and we get notice a few months later that we owe close to $300.  No biggie, we called the IRS and asked if we could pay out of our refund from the next year.  They were cool with that..  and that's just exactly what happened!  :)

mommyinthe303
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Yes he owes from previous years.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
msbusychild
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:57 AM

You will have to claim injured spouse. I have to claim it every year for DH's back child support owed. Since you are married and filing jointly, you have to do this (pretty sure!)

mommyinthe303
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Do you do that on your own or have someone do your taxes? I am going to have to do this every year!!!! UHG

Quoting msbusychild:

You will have to claim injured spouse. I have to claim it every year for DH's back child support owed. Since you are married and filing jointly, you have to do this (pretty sure!)

msbusychild
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I use turbo tax online. I've been doing the injured spouse for the last 4-5 years. But using turbo tax makes it really simple. If you do use it, before you file you just make sure you go to "other tax documents" or something like that. The one thing that sucks is that it delays your return by at least a couple of months. We always file in late Jan early Feb and don't get it until May!

Quoting mommyinthe303:

Do you do that on your own or have someone do your taxes? I am going to have to do this every year!!!! UHG

Quoting msbusychild:

mommyinthe303
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:50 PM

By that long? UHGGG, I was wanting to do it ourselves but was a little afraid because I've never done that before but man our tax guy we were going to use has yet to call back and make an appointment. I will check it out tho thank you so much.  

Quoting msbusychild:

I use turbo tax online. I've been doing the injured spouse for the last 4-5 years. But using turbo tax makes it really simple. If you do use it, before you file you just make sure you go to "other tax documents" or something like that. The one thing that sucks is that it delays your return by at least a couple of months. We always file in late Jan early Feb and don't get it until May!

Quoting mommyinthe303:

Quoting msbusychild:

MomRocs1102
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:40 PM

if he owes momey, u cant file joint. that make the debt joint

MomRocs1102
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:41 PM

that didnt work for me, i had to fight the irs

msbusychild
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Your welcome! Good luck!

Quoting mommyinthe303:

By that long? UHGGG, I was wanting to do it ourselves but was a little afraid because I've never done that before but man our tax guy we were going to use has yet to call back and make an appointment. I will check it out tho thank you so much.  

Quoting msbusychild:

Quoting mommyinthe303:

Quoting msbusychild:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN