Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

What are some ridiculous things your spouse does that you just have to laugh at?

Cafe Steph
Yesterday at 9:01 PM
Lets Watch The Walking Dead Episode 2 Together! - CafeMom

The second episode of The Walking Dead airs Sunday, October 19th! Meet us here at 9pm EST as we watch and discuss the show

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:01 PM
  • 21 Replies

Laughing About Your Spouse's Ridiculous Behavior Is the Key to a Happy Marriage

Posted by Kristen Chase on January 29, 2013 

How to add more laughter into your relationshipThis week my husband was away on business for a couple of days, but before he left, he made his famous "lentil beef" Crock-Pot recipe. As you might imagine, having a pre-made meal was a huge help being alone with four kids, and I thanked him for making it.

Of course, it only involved him putting beef and a can of lentil soup in a slow cooker and turning it on, but whatever. It tastes good and the kids love it.

But when he got home the next day, he decided to make a huge deal about how awesome he was for cooking it. And you might be surprised at how I responded.

I'd like to think I'm a bit of a scorekeeper due to my near-photographic memory, but really, when you've got a husband who travels and you're home with four kids, it's really easy to get caught up in keeping track of how little time you've had alone or how many diapers you've changed.

Over the years, I've gotten a lot better about ditching the score sheet, mostly because I know how much damage it can do to a relationship. And because he's gotten a bit better about being more appreciative of what I do while he's gone.

So when he decided to gloat about the one meal he's made compared to my 40,000 (a low, rough estimate), I didn't do what I wanted to do, which was remind him of every single time I've made numerous meals for him when I travel. Or all the dinners and lunches and breakfasts I make pretty much every single day.

That doesn't mean I didn't mention them. But I did it with humor, rather than revenge.

And instead of turning the ridiculousness into a pretty big fight about who does more, we just had a hearty chuckle about his amazing two-ingredient Crock-Pot meal.

In all honesty, I still think it's more than silly for him to brag about the meal he made given the circumstances. It would be like me reminding him constantly about the one time I mowed the lawn or washed the car, two things that are decidedly his "jobs" around the house.

But I'm proud of myself that I was able to leave the score sheet tucked away in my drawer and just enjoy my husband's need for attention. Besides, as I try to remind myself, when it comes to parenting and relationships -- if I weren't laughing, I'd probably be crying. 

What are some ridiculous things your spouse does that you just have to laugh at?

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
furbabymum
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:12 PM
1 mom liked this

We can be having a conversation when suddenly he whips out his phone or paper and pen, does some math and then tells me it's mathematically unfeasible what I'm saying. Sometimes I want to strangle him but mostly I just laugh about how sexy his mind is. Then ignore his comments about feasibility because who wants to live in reality anyway.

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:13 PM
He'll try tickle me or make an god awful cornball joke! Its so awful I have to laugh!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ebmb03
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this

To tell me that i am the most dumbest smartest person he ever met.  Oh, and his funny dance!

alaskadreams
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:34 PM

When he comes home from work the first thing he does is give me a "Forest Gump" wave

LOVES67
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:46 PM

he has that most crazy conversations, don't make sense..

KyrinM
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Mine tends to try to be punny...or quotes some movie quote out of the blue, or is just silly.  I love how much he makes me laugh & how much going to bed at night is usually cuddle & be silly time.  :)

WesternNYmom
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:26 AM
1 mom liked this

My husband made up a silly song that he sings to wake up the kids in the morning.  He calls it the wake up song.  He sings it using a voice that sound like a chipmunk.  The kids hate it, and complain about him singing it. I just shake my head and laugh.

jojo_382
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:35 AM
thats 2 funny my hubby make up joke then if it realy good hell say that was funny write that 1 down or some time when hes in a very happy mood hell sings an dance all funny 2 the piint my 3yr an 1 yr old well join him lol

Quoting WesternNYmom:

My husband made up a silly song that he sings to wake up the kids in the morning.  He calls it the wake up song.  He sings it using a voice that sound like a chipmunk.  The kids hate it, and complain about him singing it. I just shake my head and laugh.

CrazyLife1996
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:23 AM
He says the most random off the comments that make absolutely no sense at all. He has always made me laugh by doing this. It's like living with my very own airhead.
MomToovey
by Marianne on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:45 PM

He's so funny and a huge dork - he always makes me laugh for one reason or another :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)