Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Leave your spouse? Sickening?

Posted by   + Show Post

Does anyone else get so sick of society's tolerance, actually of their encouragement, to leave one own spouse? Aside of abusive or dangerous behaviors, (common sense please folks) I really don't see leaving as a justifiable solution to "finding happiness." 

I find it disturbing that the most common response to anyone's complaint that their marriage has hit a rough spot is: You deserve better, dump him/her. 

What happened to self accountability? What happened to showing support with solid suggestions as to how to build a better marriage? Like most skills in life, these have to be learned, implimented and practiced.

Why are we so happy to encourage and excuse one from a life long committment they made to someone, themselves and commonly God? We are not so tolerant of folks that neglect their kids "because it is too hard today." How about "I just don't feel like it anymore." Or better yet, "I've changed my mind." Then why do we suggest that someone bail when the going gets tough in a marriage?

If you don't build the foundation, the building will crumble. Telling someone that the next "relationship" will be better because it will be with someone else, just doesn't make sense. 

Do most people really think that "finding" is the key and not "building?" 

UPDATE:

Please do not read too much into this post. I am not judging people who divorce. I am trying not to judge at all. What I am trying to do is find out how many people cherish the vows they took and suggest that we consider offering support and encouragement to married folks. As I have been guilty of suggesting to a freind that "she deserved better" I am not trying to put anyone down for doing so. Instead, I am trying to share my current opinion that there are other alternatives to these suggestions. Ultimately, to be married or not, is up to the couple themselves. I choose to offer words of encouragement and support. (Remember, not in all cases should a marriage be saved.) Just generally speaking. Many blessing to you all and hug your spouse. :-)

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:34 PM
Replies (71-76):
JCKitten87
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this
So many people are more concerned about instant gratification... My husband and I had been on the verge of divorce, or at least a separation... 3 years later, we are happier, stronger, and way more compatible than we were in our honey moon phase. Life still sucks sometimes, but we married because we wanted to spend our life together, good and bad. But we now know that things won't always be like this and our struggles have taught us who we really are. Oh and we are only 25 :) been together 7 years, and we have a special needs daughter
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Swt7
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Building is the key,bse sth built on rock will last and tha built on sand cannot last!
Therefore each time we get shaken abit,lets focus on how to reinforce our foundations instead of quitting!
So finding isn't th4 key bse even if you found sb,the things that led to the end of the first relationship will end the new one since the foundation built in the first one was weak meaning the second won't be any different from the first it too will end just like the first.
alf2651
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

I tend to agree with you. I believe that marriage is something to be worked on and not given up on. Marriage should be fought for.

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

soontobemomof2k
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

No, I believe if you're not happy, get out of it. You only live once, and should be happy. Alot of people get married too young or for the wrong reasons

midjet117
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:17 PM

yeah that is an all too common response on here. Relationships take work, ppl change, such is life. 

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

I tend to agree with you. I believe that marriage is something to be worked on and not given up on. Marriage should be fought for.

I agree

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)