Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Husband's 50th - Help!

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:17 AM
  • 7 Replies

Hi all, I'm looking for some fun ideas for celebrating my husband's 50th birthday next month (I can't believe I'm old enough to have a 50-year-old husband LOL).

I'm going to tell you a few things about him in case that helps.  I'm looking for clever gifts, or fun ways to commemorate the day.

First thing you should probably know is that he doesn't actually care about milestone birthdays.  He thinks it's silly to make a big deal out of them.  BUT, we also have 4 kids who DO think it's a big deal (and he has a wife who's very into milestones LOL).

Next thing you should know is that he'd rather be with his family than anyone else.  He has only a couple really good friends, and then maybe 5 people beyond that that he enjoys spending time with.

Also, his dad's 80th birthday is 2 days earlier and the family is already having a catered party for that - so another big party seems silly (and really isn't something my husband would enjoy anyway.)

I'm thinking he'd enjoy a nice dinner out - with the kids.  But I just don't know if that's special enough.

The kids thought it might be fun to give him 50 presents.  Maybe 50 presents, coupled with a dinner out would make it feel more special.

What do you think?

And if we do 50 presents...what should they be?  LOL  We're on a very limited budget AND I'm not crafty at all - so they'd have to primarily be things I can buy - but aren't too pricey - with maybe a couple "big" gifts at the end (the kids could make things too if you have cute ideas for that). 

I was thinking a getaway would be a nice gift.  We haven't spent a night alone in 14 years.  But he also likes going away as a family - and we don't do it very often - so maybe a family weekend instead?  Or maybe both?  A couple's weekend AND a family weekend?  Ugh.  I don't know.

Here's some info about his likes, personality etc.

He loves sports - especially baseball

He loves Bruce Springsteen

He's a former actor and loves theater, music etc.

He's handy around the house

He LOVES to cook

He loves good wine

He puts thought into his clothes but isn't "fussy" about it

He hates wallets and watches and robes (all things I tried to buy him early in our courtship because he didn't have them LOL)

What else would help you to help me get creative?

Sorry this is so long but I figure, the more info you have, the better :-)

Thank you!!!!

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
LancesMom
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:41 AM
2 moms liked this

hmmm,

give him 50 handmade coupons for things he'd like.

IE:

SEX
A day out with the guys
A massage
SEX

Wash his car

SEX

SEX

Breakfast in Bed

Junk Food for Dinner

SEX

etc etc

LOL!

funhappymom
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:42 AM

rolling on floor

Quoting LancesMom:

hmmm,

give him 50 handmade coupons for things he'd like.

IE:

SEX
A day out with the guys
A massage
SEX

Wash his car

SEX

SEX

Breakfast in Bed

Junk Food for Dinner

SEX

etc etc

LOL!

MelisaAnderson
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this
You and your kids could come up with 50 special moments/memories writing each one on a separate piece of paper.. Put them in a neat box maybe some photos too...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Hudson_Heights
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I love that!  Goosebumps!  Such a sweet idea - and something I never would have thought of on my own.  I love CafeMom :-)

(And it's mostly free LOL another bonus)

Quoting MelisaAnderson:

You and your kids could come up with 50 special moments/memories writing each one on a separate piece of paper.. Put them in a neat box maybe some photos too...

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:18 PM
bump
NearSeattleMom
by New Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this

How about a song for each decade of his life?  You could make a special playlist and burn it to a CD.

Have the kids hide 50 notes around the house . . . when I left for college, I left sticky notes for my dad everywhere . . . he found them for months!

You could make a scrapbook of his life.  Costco has a cheap option for that and there are other companies as well.  It's all digital these days, easy!

ShannaBee
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:33 PM
I'm loving the ideas these ladies are coming up with!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)