Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

What do you think of Valentine's Day?

Posted by   + Show Post

Valentine's Day Forces Couples to Spend Time Together Even When They're Married With Kids

Posted by Kristen Chase on February 5, 2013 

In defense of Valentine's Day for couplesI used to think that Valentine's Day was a dating person's holiday. The pricey flowers, the expensive dinners out -- not to mention the cost of a babysitter on a holiday. The practical side of me can't help but roll eyes at the over-commercialization that has become February 14.

Have you seen how much college is these days?

But lately, I've realized that Valentine's Day might be exactly what our marriage needs, even if it does cost us a pretty penny to celebrate.

If you're me, and most couples out there, finding time to spend together, let alone time that's just focused on you and not your kids or the laundry or CAN YOU PLEASE EMPTY THE DISHWASHER, is pretty rare.

Being married with kids is hard, and I'm the first to admit that I have the amazing ability to pile on all sorts of seemingly important tasks on my list while my husband drops lower and lower in priority.

And I'm the celebrator in the relationship, the one who buys little gifts and cards, who brings home special desserts or balloons for no reason. So you can imagine where I fall on my husband's list as the one who often needs a nudget to buy birthday gifts, not for lack of thought per se, but because he's busy too, with work, with grad school ... WE'RE ALL DAMN BUSY.

So when a holiday like Valentine's Day comes around, one that's printed on every calendar, that you can't escape unless you hide in a bunker for the entire month of February, it's like an automatic reminder. Like when your phone pings to remind you of your dentist appointment, which you wouldn't ever remember unless you phone pinged you.

Now I'm not saying marriage is like a dentist appointment, but it can feel that way when you've been at it for so long. And it doesn't make you a bad person or a lousy spouse if you need the friendly reminder.

If you're the kind of couple who have regular date nights and a wonderful, happy marriage all the time, then chances are you don't need to go crazy at Valentine's Day because you probably go crazy a lot.

But for us, the commercialization is like a shot in the backside. A moment, whether it's a hot date out, a sexy night in, or just a sweet, romantic card with overpriced flowers, to be thankful. To look at the person you've chosen to spend your life with and appreciate everything they do and have done.

Who cares if you need some ridiculous holiday to tell you? Better that than not at all.

What do you think of Valentine's Day?

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Replies (31-38):
Dimples303
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:07 PM

V-day is the anniversary of when my husband and I started dating so its special to me... I celebrate every holiday even if it is just a Hallmark holiday. Lol Plus, it's a fun holiday for the kids. :)

MrsSexyCurtains
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe it is but we celebrate it as a family, always have. We take dd out to dinner and she picks out something she wants. She's our only child so we want to make things fun for her.

Quoting woodmamma:

i think its completely over rated!! and not because ive never had a valentine's or have never gotten anything from someone. its because when you are truly happy and with the love of your life ( as i am ) everyday should be valentines day lol

but its also my nieces bday lol

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
brannew
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I got my husband an awesome valentine's day gift once.  He was unbelievably ungrateful, I won't even mention what he said to me.  Now I get him something every year out of spite.  Petty? yes indeed it is. 

Valentine's cards make me laugh out loud.  What a waste of trees. 

PrdNate
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I don't think we need a special day to remind us to show our love for our SO -- that should be a daily thing.  That being said, I would be really upset if my husband didn't get me at least a card to show he remembered. 

woodmamma
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:36 PM

i can see your point :) we get our kids a little something as well. they are 11 & 12

Quoting MrsSexyCurtains:

Maybe it is but we celebrate it as a family, always have. We take dd out to dinner and she picks out something she wants. She's our only child so we want to make things fun for her.

Quoting woodmamma:

i think its completely over rated!! and not because ive never had a valentine's or have never gotten anything from someone. its because when you are truly happy and with the love of your life ( as i am ) everyday should be valentines day lol

MrsSexyCurtains
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:41 PM
We couldn't have more kids so we try to make holidays special for her and something she'll remember. Plus hubby is military so he's gone a lot. If we didn't have kids I wouldn't care about the holiday but to us it's more for her you know. Dd will be 7 soon and they just grow too fast! Lol

Quoting woodmamma:

i can see your point :) we get our kids a little something as well. they are 11 & 12

Quoting MrsSexyCurtains:

Quoting woodmamma:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MomToovey
by Marianne on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:13 PM

We don't make a big deal out of it. I always enjoyed it as a kid, but never truly got into it past the sweet treats and getting half an hour of classtime taken out for a party. We observe it, and DD and I will make Valentine's Day crafts, but between her birthday being the 6th and me having a huge event to put together every Sunday before it, I'd rather just not make a big deal out of the day. DH naturally agrees - it's one less thing for him to buy/think about in the already busiest season of our year.

woodmamma
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:41 PM

thats very sweet! it will be something she will remember through out her life and maybe even do with her own kids :)

yes they grow too fast. my dd turned 11 yesterday and the waitress thought she was 13! i was like oh heck no lol 

Quoting MrsSexyCurtains:

We couldn't have more kids so we try to make holidays special for her and something she'll remember. Plus hubby is military so he's gone a lot. If we didn't have kids I wouldn't care about the holiday but to us it's more for her you know. Dd will be 7 soon and they just grow too fast! Lol

Quoting woodmamma:

Quoting MrsSexyCurtains:

Quoting woodmamma:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN