Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Prenup and Engagement...

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:41 AM
  • 15 Replies

My boyfriend and I were talking the other night and he said if we were to get married then he wants a prenup... Im not sure how I feel about this but I guess if he is who I want to marry then I will have to agree.. Also I dont want his money or anything he has, I have all my own so I guess it wont be an issue to sign..

The thing is we are not even engaged yet so I dont know why he even wants to talk about it... We do live together for a year now and have been together for 2.5 years...

Guess my question is.. do any of you ladies have a prenup? IF so who brought it up?

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crystalrbp
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:46 AM
Nope, no prenup. What we have we both worked for while we were married. We started out with nothing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
charity62
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:52 AM

no prenup

hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this
To me, a prenup, is code for " I don't think we will make it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommieofII
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Thats how I look at it, but then he looks at it as I am only marrying for money if I don't sign one... Which is not true and I kind of agree that nothing that he has worked for as in his retirement and so on should go to me, and I feel the same he shouldn't get what I work for....

Quoting hollydaze1974:

simplemom
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:40 AM

If I signed one, I would say that it is only good for x amount of years, say 20.  I would also want a stipulation it, that I would get some sort of settlement in the event of a divorce for the things we had acquired together while we are married.  I would never put years into a relationship and walk away without a cent in the event he got tired of me or whatever.  I could understand someone who owned certain family property or their business that they have had for years that might want a prenup that excluded that property or business from being considered community property in the marriage.  I don't think it is fair to sign a prenup for absolutely everything though. 

CJsMommy92
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:46 AM

He probably just went ahead and asked because he's thinking of proposing and he's making sure you'll sign so he doesn't buy a ring just to not get married. I would've signed one if my husband had asked me. If we split I don't want anything from him. Not even child support

weddingcountdown.com
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

finlyhappy65
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it would depend on the financial status of each person, I can understand if someone is coming from a lot more money or family money as a protection against losses.  All you have to do is look at statistics, I don't think it's a bad idea if you have something to protect and they can be worded to protect both parties - ensuring something for you as well.

finlyhappy65
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:58 AM

and that can be stated in a prenup, not to protect just him but you as well.

Quoting mommieofII:

Thats how I look at it, but then he looks at it as I am only marrying for money if I don't sign one... Which is not true and I kind of agree that nothing that he has worked for as in his retirement and so on should go to me, and I feel the same he shouldn't get what I work for....

Quoting hollydaze1974:

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:00 AM
A prenup is ok if each person had assets&family money to protect?
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Nope we had no prenup when we got married.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)