Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you buy into the whole Valentine's Day hype?

Cafe Steph
Yesterday at 11:11 AM
What are you doing this weekend? - CafeMom

I'm going to spend some time with my family this weekend, starting with Grandmother's funeral, then celebrating my

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:00 PM
  • 21 Replies

Valentine's Day Is Just a Big Scam Disguised as Love

Posted by Andrew Kardon on February 9, 2013 

You may not know it, but I'm actually a pretty sensitive guy. I can get mushy like the rest of them and really enjoy treating my wife to a romantic evening when I can. But despite that, I have to say this about that little "holiday" coming up this week: Valentine's Day is the biggest crock.

Just another one of those made-up Hallmark holidays, V-Day regularly spreads far more pain than love. First, there are all the people out there who aren't married, dating, or in a serious relationship. Or worse, there are those who just broke up with someone or are going through a rough divorce. Valentine's Day is just a way of the calendar giving those folks the middle finger.

But that's not what I really dislike about this bogus holiday. I love my wife. I love her each and every day. More with each passing 24 hours. So who the hell are the greeting card companies and the chocolate makers and the florists and the jewelry people (I need a scapegoat here, so they all get my wrath) to tell me WHEN and HOW I should express my love for her?

What, so I can ignore my wife for 364 days of the year and treat her like utter garbage, but then buy her candy and roses on February 14 and all is forgiven? Or maybe I forgot that I'm supposed to say those three special words to her and I need to be reminded once every year. Puhleeze.

Thankfully, my wife is on the same page as me. Valentine's Day is just another day. If I don't celebrate it, does that mean that I don't love my wife? Of course not. If I don't celebrate it, does it mean I won't tell her I love her? Definitely not. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

I buy my wife gifts all the time. I gift her songs from iTunes. Call her nauseatingly cute animal names. Text her little affectionate notes. Tell her I love her dozens of times a day. I do it all and I do it often. I don't save it up for one specific day.

Now, when we were first dating and even a few years into our marriage, I'd buy my wife cards, presents, chocolates, and even take her to dinner on Valentine's Day. I sent her a dozen long-stemmed roses one year when she was a teacher. Her students loved that one.

I get the allure, the appeal of buying into the whole hearts and chocolate lovefest. But the entire premise is just ridiculous. I know so many women who get so upset on Valentine's Day because they aren't dating anyone and they feel awful and useless for some crazy reason. And then there are the guys who are in relationships but they just started dating, so they're clueless about what to do.

Overall, it's just one hot mess. I for one won't be partaking in any Valentine's Day festivities this year. Well, except for maybe eating a chocolate heart or two. But that's only for the chocolate, not the love.

Do you buy into the whole Valentine's Day hype?

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amberstars
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:09 PM

No.  I can get chocolate any time I want (just have to whine to Dh that I want candy and he'll get it for me).  It was cute when I was in school and we got to get smarties candies and valentines from our classmates when I was in elementary.

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:28 PM

No! I find it ridiculous. Why spend $80-$100 on roses that last week were $25? It all seems like a huge waste.

jesuschild06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:20 PM

When me and DF got together we talked about Vday and if we were gonna celebrate it or not. We agreed on not doing so, because of the same reasons spoken here. But, when Vday hit, we couldnt help but buy each other gifts. Im positive not every Vday we wil be spending what we did on that first one, but I do find it nice and romantic. That even though I get random gifts throughout the year, and spoiled, and so does/is he, and even though this day is "planned" by the world, we still want the other to feel equally as special on it. 

lapcounter
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Just with our girl's.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsApple
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this

It annoys me when people say,"I love my spouse every day of the year,I don't need a special day to do it." That's like saying the people that DO celebrate it DON'T treat their spouse special every day of the year! What's the harm in an extra special day? Why celebrate your anniversary if you feel that way? 

That being said,my husband and I do not go overboard for Valentines.The holiday doesn't have to mean money spend in order to be celebrated.He does usually suprise me with a gift of some sort even though I always tell him not to,he's just sweet like that,and I make him one of his favorite desserts and then we get a sitter and go out to dinner or even just back home with some wine to have some alone time.Neither one of us expects a big shabang.I don't want him spending hundreds on roses and gifts,he doesn't expect me in some new expensive lingerie...but to us it's just an extra day to celebrate our love for each other   :)

mylifemylove864
by New Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I completely agree. We do Valentine's day and mothers and fathers day and birthdays and anniversaries and Christmas. We do treat each other well every other day of the year but an extra special day is nice.

Quoting MrsApple:

It annoys me when people say,"I love my spouse every day of the year,I don't need a special day to do it." That's like saying the people that DO celebrate it DON'T treat their spouse special every day of the year! What's the harm in an extra special day? Why celebrate your anniversary if you feel that way? 

That being said,my husband and I do not go overboard for Valentines.The holiday doesn't have to mean money spend in order to be celebrated.He does usually suprise me with a gift of some sort even though I always tell him not to,he's just sweet like that,and I make him one of his favorite desserts and then we get a sitter and go out to dinner or even just back home with some wine to have some alone time.Neither one of us expects a big shabang.I don't want him spending hundreds on roses and gifts,he doesn't expect me in some new expensive lingerie...but to us it's just an extra day to celebrate our love for each other   :)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this
This is my thoughts exactly! Its stupid to get worked up over something you don't do! Its nothing to lose sleep over! But at the same time people claim Valentine's Day is overrated but Mother's day same thing cards flowers, gift! Everyone celebrates that! Does it means if I do celebrate I'm not a mommy 364 days out of the year? I say enjoy it the extra day for♥♥! Life is too short! I know I will!
We don't go overboard either we try to keep to ourselves, enjoy it&move on!

Quoting mylifemylove864:

I completely agree. We do Valentine's day and mothers and fathers day and birthdays and anniversaries and Christmas. We do treat each other well every other day of the year but an extra special day is nice.

Quoting MrsApple:

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:48 PM
I feel the same way about Mother and Fathers Day as I do about Valentines Day. They're just another day for me, I don't see the point in cards or gifts. Unless its a day I have to cook a special meal, or get a costume, or decorate my house for, it isn't a holiday to be celebrated in my eyes.

Quoting Hottmomma607:

This is my thoughts exactly! Its stupid to get worked up over something you don't do! Its nothing to lose sleep over! But at the same time people claim Valentine's Day is overrated but Mother's day same thing cards flowers, gift! Everyone celebrates that! Does it means if I do celebrate I'm not a mommy 364 days out of the year? I say enjoy it the extra day for♥♥! Life is too short! I know I will!

We don't go overboard either we try to keep to ourselves, enjoy it&move on!

Quoting mylifemylove864:

Quoting MrsApple:

Shelly126
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:17 PM
Quoting MrsApple:

i completely agree! It's cute and I don't see why, like celebrating any other holiday, has to be about dollar value. My DH and I are high school sweethearts and have celebrated valentines day throughout the years in so many different ways from extravagant to simple and each and everyone was special for their own reasons!
I don't demand expensive presents or roses from an expensive florist, some years he has surprised me with things like that and some years it's just a nice card, flowers he picked up @ the market on the way home from work and a nice box of chocolates (he always gets me chocolate since I am a chocoholic!) and I could care less, it's the thought that counts.
We love each other year round and we show it year round, holidays are just a special time to appreciate it even more!
earthangel1967
by YVONNE on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:51 PM

We often say our valentines day is everyday bc we are always lovey dovey and expressive and go on lots of dates etc, but yes we DO still buy into the valentines hype bc we choose to, we think its fun and we love all holidays.

YVONNE

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)