Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Sharing!!!!

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:49 AM
  • 13 Replies

My husband and I are looking to move and buy a coop/condo. We now have a three and a half year old little girl who will be four when her baby sister is born. This is the last baby my husband and I are going to have. My question to you all is do you think two girls sharing a room will be a big deal? We were going to buy a 2 bedroom 2 bath place but my MIL seems to think they aren't going to want to share a room. I recall sharing a room until forever and my husband shared his room with his little brother until he went to college so we don't see the big deal. What are your thoughts? The 2 bedroom will cost is $177,000 and the 3 bedroom will cost us $225,000

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Graidyn
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, I suppose that would depend on your finances and how well you think you can get your oldest daughter to handle it. I shared a room with my sister and it was a nightmare for everyone involved, for many reasons, once we hit 10 and 12 respectively. Dh shared a room and never had an issue. My sisters daughters share a room and there is an occassional issue, but not huge. The littler one stayed in her and her husbands room until she was a year so that she wouldn't disturb the older daughter waking up at night. I think that was a good idea since they are 4 years apart. It saved a lot of drama and grumpy 4 year old, lol. Especially since it's almost unavoidable to have some jealousy issues in the beginning. 

But what it comes down to is you know your daughter and what you and she can handle best (and your pocketbook) so go with what you think you need. Or - if the money isn't the real issue you could always get the 3 bedroom as backup but have them share and have a guest room or office space if they do fine.

MagicTemptation
by Christina on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:20 AM

My kids prefer sharing rooms. It is extremely common. The only people who may make big deals about it are adults. Kids at that age don't know any difference.  When they are young it doesn't really matter. As they get older and become teens then it may cause fights. When we moved 2 years ago into a 7 bedroom house, the kids could all have their own rooms, my oldest two girls decided to share, and the younger 3 girls shared. My son had his own room but not by choice, he is the only boy. My oldest is nine and will sneak into her younger two sisters room to sleep. They like being close.

1stTimeMom1982
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Oh thanks for your input. I do also plan to keep baby in our room for a good year though as well. I think for now the 2 bedroom will work and if we move in the future it will more then likely be out of NY anyway at that point. ;) 

Quoting Graidyn:

Well, I suppose that would depend on your finances and how well you think you can get your oldest daughter to handle it. I shared a room with my sister and it was a nightmare for everyone involved, for many reasons, once we hit 10 and 12 respectively. Dh shared a room and never had an issue. My sisters daughters share a room and there is an occassional issue, but not huge. The littler one stayed in her and her husbands room until she was a year so that she wouldn't disturb the older daughter waking up at night. I think that was a good idea since they are 4 years apart. It saved a lot of drama and grumpy 4 year old, lol. Especially since it's almost unavoidable to have some jealousy issues in the beginning. 

But what it comes down to is you know your daughter and what you and she can handle best (and your pocketbook) so go with what you think you need. Or - if the money isn't the real issue you could always get the 3 bedroom as backup but have them share and have a guest room or office space if they do fine.

1stTimeMom1982
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Awwww that's so nice that they get along so well :) 

Quoting MagicTemptation:

My kids prefer sharing rooms. It is extremely common. The only people who may make big deals about it are adults. Kids at that age don't know any difference.  When they are young it doesn't really matter. As they get older and become teens then it may cause fights. When we moved 2 years ago into a 7 bedroom house, the kids could all have their own rooms, my oldest two girls decided to share, and the younger 3 girls shared. My son had his own room but not by choice, he is the only boy. My oldest is nine and will sneak into her younger two sisters room to sleep. They like being close.

C.Fleury
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this
I personally would go with the bigger place. I have a boy and girl and they never shared a room and never even mentioned wanting to share a room. Thy like there own space. It's there place to go and be, do there own thing and decorate how they want, etc.

Good luck with the move
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
1stTimeMom1982
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Oh if I was having a boy they wouldn't be sharing a room and I'd get the bigger place. However we're having another girl and aren't having anymore children after this baby so I don't see an issue with two girls sharing a room. 

Quoting C.Fleury:

I personally would go with the bigger place. I have a boy and girl and they never shared a room and never even mentioned wanting to share a room. Thy like there own space. It's there place to go and be, do there own thing and decorate how they want, etc.

Good luck with the move

alexislovesjr
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

my kids share a room, they love it. I tried to get my 5 year old into his own room but he refused. I use the 3rd as a exercise room which is a waist since I prefer the gym. I would say a 2 bedroom is fine.

1stTimeMom1982
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Oh I'd love a exercise room lol ;) 

Quoting alexislovesjr:

my kids share a room, they love it. I tried to get my 5 year old into his own room but he refused. I use the 3rd as a exercise room which is a waist since I prefer the gym. I would say a 2 bedroom is fine.

raisingmen
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:36 PM
1 mom liked this
My cousin has 2 girls 3 yr apart they shared room since the youngest was one. When they added on to house girls choose to have one big room rather then be seperated. They are in teens now and still share. They are going to fight and have issue but that part of growing up
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
1stTimeMom1982
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Oh yes very true ;) 

Quoting raisingmen:

My cousin has 2 girls 3 yr apart they shared room since the youngest was one. When they added on to house girls choose to have one big room rather then be seperated. They are in teens now and still share. They are going to fight and have issue but that part of growing up

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)