Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Help! How do you get your hubby to....

Posted by   + Show Post

Our wedding is coming up this June. I'm currently deployed and have been working out everyday with my wedding dress and wedding photos on my mind as motivation. I only see my soon to be hubby on FaceTime a couple of times a week and I'm noticing (or I think I am noticing ) his face getting a little rounder and perhaps even some extra chin!!!! How do I ask him about it without hurting his feelings? Any ideas? He says that I really motivate him to workout and he can't wait until I get back to start again but that will only be one month before our wedding. I don't think he should wait until then to get off his butt. Please help. 

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Replies (11-17):
Hulagirl55
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Thanks ladies for the input!!

i.heart.myboys
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:50 AM
I agree. My DH and I speak about our weight with each other opening. Our fears/what we want to do. If he notices I'm having issues he will tell me open and up front.

Quoting furbabymum:

Well if you can't talk about your weight there are a lot more difficult things going to come your way in marriage. I'd ask him WHY he is gaining weight? He not eating right or is he depressed. Is he just lazy? Ask him if it's ok with him. If it is then you are looking at your future.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CharlotteRose
by Charlotte on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Here is a tissue for your drool LOL - i agree w/the below.....

Quoting furbabymum:

Just as a note to you, when my DH was deployed working out is all he had to do on his off time. He came back looking buff as hell. (Give me a moment I'm drooling at the memory.) Anyway, I had a lot more to occupy myself with and did not work out nearly at all. Plus I ate a ton of junk because cooking for 1 isn't all that inspiring. Just remember that you are gone and isolated and working out gives you release. It is not so for him.

JessicaHetzel
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:21 PM

My husband is usually straight honest with me. If I need to work out he will tell me straight forward.

beachbeauty
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I would not outright mention his weight, first of all since you're deployed you don't really know for sure that he's gaining, it could just be a bad angle on the screen.  Second, it could make him feel insecure about your feelings toward him and your relationship.  Deployments take a little different care than typical relationships (as you probably know, I'm just stating this for other posters who say you need to be honest).  I like the idea of suggesting that he start before you get home so he can "keep up" with you, say it jokingly, but then say "really, I don't want you to be sore" or something like that.  Also, I don't know where he lives at, but if the weather is starting to warm up there he may start losing it anyway when he can get outside more and more fruits/veggies are coming in season.

However, if you weren't deployed I would say to tell him you're concerned about his health and invite him to work out with you.

cherylam
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I agree, tell him how hard you are working and ask about his routine.  that might clue you in if he's not working out, and it might inspire him to talk about any possible weight gain.

Hulagirl55
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Thank you! This is right on point. Thank you lady =)

Quoting beachbeauty:

I would not outright mention his weight, first of all since you're deployed you don't really know for sure that he's gaining, it could just be a bad angle on the screen.  Second, it could make him feel insecure about your feelings toward him and your relationship.  Deployments take a little different care than typical relationships (as you probably know, I'm just stating this for other posters who say you need to be honest).  I like the idea of suggesting that he start before you get home so he can "keep up" with you, say it jokingly, but then say "really, I don't want you to be sore" or something like that.  Also, I don't know where he lives at, but if the weather is starting to warm up there he may start losing it anyway when he can get outside more and more fruits/veggies are coming in season.

However, if you weren't deployed I would say to tell him you're concerned about his health and invite him to work out with you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)