Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Do you manage to work out together?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:24 PM
  • 23 Replies

Letting Yourself Go Could Seriously Hurt Your Marriage

Posted by Sasha Brown-Worsham on February 11, 2013 

working outOne way to greatly improve our love as a couples is to work out together. If that sounds insane or impossible to you, consider this: experts say couples who work out together have better "synchronicity, cooperative spirit and shared passion," which leads, overall, to a more satisfying marriage and partnership.

It makes sense.

For many couples, working out separately can become a contentious issue when one spouse gets more workout time than another or one feels the other is NOT working out enough. Oh yes. Seriously. And personally, I agree. Unless there is some kind of physical reason that a person can't exercise, working out ought to be a part of the marriage vows. Call me insane, but a spouse who lets themselves go is not a good one.

Granted, it is easy for me to say. I generally love working out and for a long time, running was a huge part of my life. I ran marathons and more. If anything, in my marriage, working out has been an issue. I can't tell you how angry my husband gets when I even begin to mention yet another marathon to him.

It makes sense. When I am training, I take hours on Sunday morning to run. And run. And run. Once my run is done, my legs are often shot, which means I am out of commission for the full day. I get his problem with it.

But I also know my husband would prefer that to the alternative. For the last few years, he has had trouble getting to the gym and it was bothering him. But it was also bothering me. He was less happy as he gained weight and missed the release of the gym.

As for me, when I skip a workout I am a nightmare to be around. So yeah. Working out matters. For so many reasons. As we age, taking care of ourselves becomes more and more important. It is harder to stay thin, harder to find the time to work out, and, of course, that IS the time we most need it.

People have been left for dumber things than letting themselves go. It's not just about appearance. It's about how we respect ourselves and the time we carve out for our relationships.

So yes. Work out together. But if you can't, at least find the time to work out, period. The couple who works out together stays together, but so does the couple who each workout. Make the time. It might save your marriage.

Do you manage to work out together?

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
erienne06
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Yes, Jason and I are trying to lose some weight before our vacation in June so we work out 3 times a week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ultra_
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:30 PM

I like working out alone. He seriously needs to start though. He bought roller blades, so maybe that can help. He's way too big and it's scary.

supermomz25
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:31 PM

we workout together 3 days a week

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:31 PM

DH and I used to work out together - pre-baby.  Since we've had DD, it's hard because we would need someone to watch her.  We still try to workout together when we can, but what we do is challenge each other a lot.  This pushes each of us to actually keep at it and keeps us accountable.

Recently we did a 12 Day Shakeology Challenge together, which has been fun. 

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Not together, there is no way we could work out together. We have totally different ways of doing things.

mewebb82
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:18 PM

I can't stand working out with him. He gets so competitive. The few times we have tried, he seemed pretty miserable too. I prefer to work out at my own pace and take that time for myself. He has a few work out buddies who will go to the gym with him if he wants to compete.

Gabrielle1982
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:36 PM

We've tried.  Our personalities clash way too much in that area. haha  He wants me to do things his way and his way is slow paced and boring and my way is too "energetic" I guess you could say.  Also, my husband thinks he has all the right answers and honestly some of his thoughts/beliefs are outdated and have been disproven, if that's a word.   

beeky
by Alexandra on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:03 PM

We started working out together about 2 years ago.  My dh is 55 and I'm turning 50 this summer.  We want to be fit and healthy enough to enjoy these years and we love spending the time together.

LOVES67
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:15 PM

yes, our anniversary is coming so I'm trying to loose some weight for our special occasion

Templeoftrust
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:18 PM

After having my son i just wasnt motivated at all and my hubby try everything to make me feel better so we started working out together. It was fun at times but other times he was so annoying.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)