Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

scared of flowers? *EDIT IN BLUE*

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:27 AM
  • 26 Replies

i'm beginning to wonder if my dh is scared of flowers. we have been together 4 years now and this was our 3rd valentine's day. he always gets me a wonderful card with a sweet hand written message but that's it. he knows i'm not a candy fan so i don't blame him for not going that route but i like flowers. i told him once i felt like roses were cliche but that i loved daisies and lilies. but he has never once given me flowers. i don't know if he's scared he'll choose the wrong ones or he just doesn't think about it. as selfish as i feel for saying it i was a little sad at all the pictures my friends posted on facebook today of the flowers they received from their SO. maybe i'm being stupid but i sometimes wish he would give me flowers. i feel so horrible because he is a great man, he's just not so good with the romantic stuff. i just needed to vent, maybe there are some women out there that can relate?

so my dh and i are getting ready to celebrate our 1st marriage anniversary on Monday. i decided to ask him again why he has never given me flowers. this time he said "i just think flowers are a waste of money. i would rather spend the money on something that will last." i feel like face palming but at the same time i can't say i don't understand his reasoning. it's still a little disheartening though. i'm thinking of just buying myself flowers for our anniversary, i want something pretty to look at even if it's for a week. lol

CafeMom Tickers
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shadow_lark
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:30 AM
Yea, I've gone as far as pointing put bouquets I like in the store and he still insists on getting red roses. They are beautiful, but I love other flowers too. I didn't even get a happy Valentine's this year.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ZoeysMom11
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:35 AM

i understand. we went to walmart today and i pointed to a couple different bouquets and told him i thought they were pretty. his response was "i need body spray, meet me over there?" needless to say i was disappointed. i never imagined myself to be the type to want the small romantic things but i've found out that i do, at least every once in a while. he didn't even get me a card for my birthday last year :/ i'm sorry you didn't get a happy valentine's day and i know it's not the same but: Happy Valentine's Day! :)

Quoting shadow_lark:

Yea, I've gone as far as pointing put bouquets I like in the store and he still insists on getting red roses. They are beautiful, but I love other flowers too. I didn't even get a happy Valentine's this year.

shadow_lark
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:43 AM
Thanks. :) I don't think Dh realized what day it was. Its not really a big day for me anyway...but I appreciate a happy v day nonetheless. Dh finds a way to make my birthday special. This year he surprised me by being home when I thought he was stuck two hours away. I'm sorry your Dh forgot yours :( no bueno

Quoting ZoeysMom11:

i understand. we went to walmart today and i pointed to a couple different bouquets and told him i thought they were pretty. his response was "i need body spray, meet me over there?" needless to say i was disappointed. i never imagined myself to be the type to want the small romantic things but i've found out that i do, at least every once in a while. he didn't even get me a card for my birthday last year :/ i'm sorry you didn't get a happy valentine's day and i know it's not the same but: Happy Valentine's Day! :)

Quoting shadow_lark:

ZoeysMom11
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:54 AM

i've never been really into valentine's day but i would like something more than a card sometimes. like i said i feel horrible saying that because he's good to me, faithful and provides for me and our dd but i guess i just miss romance sometimes. and he didn't forget my birthday, he said he didn't have time to buy a card. i think i would have preferred forgetfulness. ugh i feel like such a horrible person, i just wish we had more sometimes.  

Quoting shadow_lark:

Thanks. :) I don't think Dh realized what day it was. Its not really a big day for me anyway...but I appreciate a happy v day nonetheless. Dh finds a way to make my birthday special. This year he surprised me by being home when I thought he was stuck two hours away. I'm sorry your Dh forgot yours :( no bueno

Quoting ZoeysMom11:

Quoting shadow_lark:

shadow_lark
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:57 AM
I don't think its horrible to want something special a few times a year. I think its just hard for guys to remember that though. Maybe you should try being blunt this year. Just tell him, I want you to plan something nice for my birthday/ our anniversary/ whatever day. Maybe he will come through for you.

Quoting ZoeysMom11:

i've never been really into valentine's day but i would like something more than a card sometimes. like i said i feel horrible saying that because he's good to me, faithful and provides for me and our dd but i guess i just miss romance sometimes. and he didn't forget my birthday, he said he didn't have time to buy a card. i think i would have preferred forgetfulness. ugh i feel like such a horrible person, i just wish we had more sometimes.  

Quoting shadow_lark:

Quoting ZoeysMom11:

Quoting shadow_lark:

Hulagirl55
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:49 AM

What if you buy a bouquet yourself from Target or Walmart and bring them home and just place them somewhere. And when he notices and says something just be like "oh i thought they looked nice and would brighten up the place" something like that. Kinda drop the not to subtle hint that "hey buddy! I'm a lady I would to come home to some flowers one day!" I would wait until next month or so once everybody has already forgotten Valentines day.

Just another thought.. maybe he doesn't like them because they are too expensive? Or maybe he thinks if he gets your flowers that they have to be the expensive kind from a florist? One time my hubby bought me the $10 dollar bouquet from Target and stuck it in a giant beer mug since we didn't have any vases. It wasn't for any special day, it was just because and it was lovely.

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:58 AM

Yes, I can relate. Of course you would like to receive flowers now and then! All I got was a card too. 

biancalina20
by Bianca Lina on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:20 AM
I would have bought them and let him ask who got them for you lol..
ZoeysMom11
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:30 AM
lol i may do that for my birthday!

Quoting biancalina20:

I would have bought them and let him ask who got them for you lol..
LaughingTattoo
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Just tell him sometime. Be like "Hey, you know what, I know I said I dont like roses but I LOVE the gift of flowers"

Thats what Id do. Thankfully, my husband isnt allergic to getting flowers. He does it at least every few months :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)