Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

scared of flowers? *EDIT IN BLUE*

Posted by   + Show Post

i'm beginning to wonder if my dh is scared of flowers. we have been together 4 years now and this was our 3rd valentine's day. he always gets me a wonderful card with a sweet hand written message but that's it. he knows i'm not a candy fan so i don't blame him for not going that route but i like flowers. i told him once i felt like roses were cliche but that i loved daisies and lilies. but he has never once given me flowers. i don't know if he's scared he'll choose the wrong ones or he just doesn't think about it. as selfish as i feel for saying it i was a little sad at all the pictures my friends posted on facebook today of the flowers they received from their SO. maybe i'm being stupid but i sometimes wish he would give me flowers. i feel so horrible because he is a great man, he's just not so good with the romantic stuff. i just needed to vent, maybe there are some women out there that can relate?

so my dh and i are getting ready to celebrate our 1st marriage anniversary on Monday. i decided to ask him again why he has never given me flowers. this time he said "i just think flowers are a waste of money. i would rather spend the money on something that will last." i feel like face palming but at the same time i can't say i don't understand his reasoning. it's still a little disheartening though. i'm thinking of just buying myself flowers for our anniversary, i want something pretty to look at even if it's for a week. lol

CafeMom Tickers
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:27 AM
Replies (11-20):
ZoeysMom11
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:35 AM
it may be the expensive thing but this year we had our tax refund so money wasn't really an issue. and i would hope he knows i'm fine with a $10 bouquet, i mean i've hinted several times i love Crazy Daisies which are pretty cheap. heck i'd be happy with a single flower, i don't need a huge bouquet!

Quoting Hulagirl55:

What if you buy a bouquet yourself from Target or Walmart and bring them home and just place them somewhere. And when he notices and says something just be like "oh i thought they looked nice and would brighten up the place" something like that. Kinda drop the not to subtle hint that "hey buddy! I'm a lady I would to come home to some flowers one day!" I would wait until next month or so once everybody has already forgotten Valentines day.

Just another thought.. maybe he doesn't like them because they are too expensive? Or maybe he thinks if he gets your flowers that they have to be the expensive kind from a florist? One time my hubby bought me the $10 dollar bouquet from Target and stuck it in a giant beer mug since we didn't have any vases. It wasn't for any special day, it was just because and it was lovely.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TheMrs407
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Find a good florist that will help him. Our florist literally has a list of my likes and dislikes on file. When dh calls he just says "I want to spend $____ for [insert holiday/reason]." and they pick it out. Yes, it's less personal, but in all reality he has no clue about flowers and they always do an amazing job. They have seen us through, close to our first date (he sent flowers afterward), our wedding and many holidays. Plus they are a local business which we love supporting.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CharlotteRose
by Charlotte on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:57 AM

yeah, its hard to see others getting what you want - however, im sure they would rather have your awesome non romantic man any day kwim? and to make you feel any btr my man isn't romantic at all!!  I smiled when you shared how he writes a personal message that's cool......and w/the flowers, ask him why he doesn't by you flowers ! By the way, your profile pic is adorable!

CharlotteRose
by Charlotte on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:59 AM

AWWWW!!!  That's really cool!!

Quoting Hulagirl55:

Just another thought.. maybe he doesn't like them because they are too expensive? Or maybe he thinks if he gets your flowers that they have to be the expensive kind from a florist? One time my hubby bought me the $10 dollar bouquet from Target and stuck it in a giant beer mug since we didn't have any vases. It wasn't for any special day, it was just because and it was lovely.

veronicamw
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I didnt get flowers Yesterday either

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Have you asked him why he never purchases you flowers?

Serenity7
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:57 PM

You can always talk to your husband about it

AnGLInterrupted
by Kendall on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:46 PM

The only way you're going to get around this is to ask him why he never buys you flowers.  Don't ask him if he's allergic..  starting a conversation with sarcasm is a sure-fire way to have an argument! GL

ZoeysMom11
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:25 PM

i have talked to him about it several times but it doesn't seem to help. his excuse is always "you told me you don't like flowers." but what i told him was "i don't like roses but i love daisies and lilies!" so he somehow heard "no flowers, ever." lol man brain? i don't know.

Quoting AnGLInterrupted:

The only way you're going to get around this is to ask him why he never buys you flowers.  Don't ask him if he's allergic..  starting a conversation with sarcasm is a sure-fire way to have an argument! GL

jesuschild06
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:37 PM

For every single holiday (vday, my bday, easter, christmas) where I know hes going to buy me something special, I have pointed out the exact same flowers. He still has yet to get me those flowers. He buys me other flowers, or no flowers at all. He bought me flowers yesterday, carnations, which are technically my favorite flowers, but they still werent the blue flowers from walmart that I desperately want. I was so sad and hurt, even though I knew it was selfish. 

my step dad forgot my moms birthday this year. She went out and bought herself a cake, which made him feel even worse. Valentines day, which is also their anniversary, where he normally does and gets her nothing, he went all out. I think it was due to her buying a cake for herself and pointing that out. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)