Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

scared of flowers? *EDIT IN BLUE*

Posted by   + Show Post

i'm beginning to wonder if my dh is scared of flowers. we have been together 4 years now and this was our 3rd valentine's day. he always gets me a wonderful card with a sweet hand written message but that's it. he knows i'm not a candy fan so i don't blame him for not going that route but i like flowers. i told him once i felt like roses were cliche but that i loved daisies and lilies. but he has never once given me flowers. i don't know if he's scared he'll choose the wrong ones or he just doesn't think about it. as selfish as i feel for saying it i was a little sad at all the pictures my friends posted on facebook today of the flowers they received from their SO. maybe i'm being stupid but i sometimes wish he would give me flowers. i feel so horrible because he is a great man, he's just not so good with the romantic stuff. i just needed to vent, maybe there are some women out there that can relate?

so my dh and i are getting ready to celebrate our 1st marriage anniversary on Monday. i decided to ask him again why he has never given me flowers. this time he said "i just think flowers are a waste of money. i would rather spend the money on something that will last." i feel like face palming but at the same time i can't say i don't understand his reasoning. it's still a little disheartening though. i'm thinking of just buying myself flowers for our anniversary, i want something pretty to look at even if it's for a week. lol

CafeMom Tickers
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:27 AM
Replies (21-26):
mom2acutiepie
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Have you told him that you want him to buy you flowers? Hinting around is obviously not working out so maybe you should tell him. About a week before whatever occasion say "Hey, Valentine's Day/Anniversary/Birthday is next week. It would make me very happy if you would maybe get me some flowers" Then the day before say "Tomorrow is whatever occasion I really hope you buy me some flowers" I have to do that with my DH sometimes. 

MomToovey
by Marianne on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Have you ever actually told him you'd like to receive flowers sometime? Telling him what kind of flowers you like and telling him you'd like to have them are two different things. He may not know you want them.

ZoeysMom11
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:53 PM

we've had the flower discussion several times over the 4 years of our relationship and it's always the same. i'll ask why he doesn't get me flowers, he says "you told me you don't like flowers." but that's not true. my exact words were "i don't like roses but i love daisies and lilies!" (and i remind him of this everytime we talk about it). somehow he heard i hate all flowers. it's always the same conversation so i don't bring it up anymore, i just constantly hope he'll think of it by himself. like i said i'm grateful for him, he's a great man i just wish he was a little more romantic.

Quoting MomToovey:

Have you ever actually told him you'd like to receive flowers sometime? Telling him what kind of flowers you like and telling him you'd like to have them are two different things. He may not know you want them.

dawnnamarie
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 5:01 AM

I got flowers for the first time this year!! It's been over 2 years. There's hope :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaSince2005
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 5:07 AM
My dh won't buy me flowers b/c he says that it's a waste of money since they die. He's pretty frugal. He doesn't even like going out to eat b/c he says "why spend $50 on going out to eat when you're just going to shit it out" :-(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bonita131
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 5:12 AM

I can guarantee when you told your husband you felt roses were cliche, his brain heard, "I don't like flowers". I did the same thing years ago but in my case I told my hubby I didn't like roses, I liked carnations, but all my hubby heard, according to him, was me saying I didn't like flowers.

Once I straightened it/him out, I got my flowers.    : -) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)