Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Is this a stupid idea? Me vs hubby...

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:31 AM
  • 59 Replies
So this is my first post here...

DH and I have been married 8 years. We have two boys, 18 mos and 4 (almost 5) years and DH has an 11 y/o girl from a previous relationship.

We got married literally the day I turned 18, at the courthouse, no dress, etc. which is what DH wanted. He wasn't a fan of big weddings at the time.

Now, 8 freaking years later, he has decided that he was an ass to insist on it being that way and is sorry I missed out on the experience, blah blah blah.

So, he wants to have a "wedding" to renew our vows for our 10 year anniversary. He has been mentioning this since our 5 year aniversary, and yesterday said "it's two years away, don't you need to start planning soon?"

My issue is, the whole thing seems stupid. I mean, won't it strike people as odd to have a wedding 10 years after the fact?

We can more than affor it now but I still can't see spending the money on an unnecessary event.

What do you think?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
edelweiss23
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Do a destination bow renewal.

Hawaii is where my husband and I are doing ours
EsmeVincent
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I would LOVE to be able to redo mine...I had a wedding but I was sick with a UTI and Kidney infection on my wedding day.  So really if we could afford to renew our vows I would do it in a heartbeat.  I have so many things planned for it if we can do it...it wouldn't be in a church but at the lake near the church...I may or may not try to lose some weight to fit back into my wedding dress(haven't decided that yet) and it would be at 5pm so we could have the white christmas lights on all the trees around us and they shine.  My brides maids are all married with kids and I would love to have them stand up there with me and all wear a shade of purple...all the groomsmen to stand up there with us and just wear dark grey suits with a purple tie...the flower girl and ring bearer will be up there with us but dressed like the others....our kids will be the flower girl and ring bearer(they are 5yr and 8mo).  Dh just has to say we can afford it...we've been married almost 11years...I woudn't mind waiting till our 20th to renew...dd would be 10 then and ds would be 15

Mom2Phoenix2011
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this
My husband and I got married at the court house and for our ten year we are doing a vow renewal. It is not tacky to want to share the love you have renewing your vows with the other people who care about you.
DragonMother10
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:00 AM
2 moms liked this
You should be thankful that he wants to make it up to you. I am sure not many husbands will do that.
AnGLInterrupted
by Kendall on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I think it could be fun!  And you can include the kiddos and you can be sure they'll never forget it!  :)

Honestly, it's a sweet gesture.  If you shoot him down, he might not be likely to make another one so freely.  Men are funny that way.

kalejames2010
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:15 AM
I wish we could. We had a church wedding the first time and I was 19 and got everything to please my mom and mil. I would do it again just so I could pick the stuff I wanted and not care what they both think! By the way our parents split the cost so we felt like they had an input to what it looked like and both sides are very opinionated.
disnchntdwife
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:20 AM
I think its sweet. I wish you much love and happiness on your journey.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
earthangel1967
by YVONNE on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think its stupid I went to a full blown wedding renewal that was as big as any wedding for a couple with 3 kids who had a full blown wedding the first time also 10 yrs before . It was fun Its even more understandable when you didnt have a big wedding the first time. Its not tacky either ESPECIALLY in your situation. I think it is sweet and shows he really cares about you and wants you to have that dream wedding and I think it is something you and he will cherish the rest of your lives, and your kids will too.

YVONNE

CrazyLife1996
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:11 PM
We are planning a huge vow renewing wedding. I think it is wonderful to show everyone how much you still love each other.
CLEKate
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I think your husband is being very sweet about wanting to do it.  I know a lot of people that celebrate their 10 year anniversary---some take big trips, other's do renew their vows in a big ceremony.

I think it's a great thing that he wants to do it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN