Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Which would you choose?

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:21 PM
  • 93 Replies

Ladies I need your help!  I need to pick out hardwood floors by next week and I have a dilemma...

Should I do light hardwood and dark cabinets or dark hardwood and dark cabinets?  I'm going for the rustic look and I really like the dark on dark but I don't want it to look like a dungeon!

Here are some examples...What does everyone think?

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
disnchntdwife
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Dark and dark. Very nice. With a lighter counter top.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EmilyKC
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:27 PM
I pick number two!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
eatyourveges
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I would do light and dark but I'm not a fan of anything matchy matchy
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MJP76
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:43 PM
3 moms liked this

I would do the second because lighter colors open up an area, and also make smaller areas look larger.

arthistmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:46 PM
1 mom liked this

The second photo has a better balance between light and dark elements, and is better lit. If it's too dark, you'll need a lot more lighting to illuminate your work space. And good lighting is critical in the kitchen.

MamaScho88
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Dark on dark...I love that look, so beautiful, and definately more rustic looking

MMerrill
by Melissa on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Although, I actually wouldn't mind making my house looking smaller and cozier, it turned out a lot bigger than expected lol

Quoting MJP76:

I would do the second because lighter colors open up an area, and also make smaller areas look larger.

wedding countdown

MJP76
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:53 PM

IC .. Yeah, I'm the opposite.. I like big open spaces. Our last house was 3200 sq ft but all of the rooms were so compartmentalized that every room felt very small and closed off from the rest of the house.

our current house is only 2500 sq ft but all the rooms are open and I have cathedral ceilings... Makes me feel connected to the entire house... If that makes sense....

Quoting MMerrill:

Although, I actually wouldn't mind making my house looking smaller and cozier, it turned out a lot bigger than expected lol

Quoting MJP76:

beffy1215
by Beth on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:54 PM

agree

Quoting disnchntdwife:

Dark and dark. Very nice. With a lighter counter top.

MMerrill
by Melissa on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:55 PM

This is very true!  We have HUGE windows and an open floor plan so the living room, dining room and kitchen are all open with lots of natural light, and we have lots of can lights in the kitchen.... I also thought the light floors wouldn't make it look what I call so "dungeon" looking but I still keep going back to the dark...this is why I'm so stuck haha

Quoting arthistmom:

The second photo has a better balance between light and dark elements, and is better lit. If it's too dark, you'll need a lot more lighting to illuminate your work space. And good lighting is critical in the kitchen.

wedding countdown

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)