Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

O/T Any Ex smokers out there? * ETA*

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:20 PM
  • 29 Replies

Hi all, I'm posting here because this is my most active group. I was curious to know who all used to smoke (cigs, not anything else) but has since quit?

My reason for asking is because I had my last smoke on Saturday night and I'm not in the process of quitting. I'm using the patch and I'm not going to lie, I'm probably going to flip my lid here soon. I was curious as to what you ladies used for distractions when you started craving one once you quit?

On Saturday I'm buing myself a bass guitar, but until then I need something to help me distract myself from the cravings. PLEASE HELP!!!!

****ETA****

Thank you ladies for all your support. I have stopped using the patch as it's really hurting bad. So I'm going the cold turkey route. I'm at the point that I just may kill someone, and the immediately drive to the gas station and buy some smokes. This is ridiculously hard. It's been extra hard because my SO didn't quit yet, he said he's not ready, which I get that it'll never happen if you aren't ready to quit, but holy moly smelling him when he comes in, mmmmm he smells goood!

I'm not sure if it's normal or not but I've been so crabby that I've cried from time to time. This withdrawl business is HORRIBLE!!!!! I knew this was going to suck but I didn't realize it would suck this bad. I quit while I was pregnant because literally the smell of tobacco made me throw up, and then started up again after DD was born.... I'm so mad at myself to this day for starting up again...

Thanks again everyone!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MJP76
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I haven't smoked in 11 years. I've tried step down methods, and the only method for me was cold turkey.

nicotine is out of your blood stream after 3 days. I carried my last cig around with me for 3 days, every time I got an urge, I'd pretend to hit it.. Or I'd just hold it in my hand.. After 3 days I tossed it. After 3 days it's more of an oral fixation.. I chewed on straws, for about 3 weeks after I quit... Eventually I threw the straws away to..

my4kids274
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:36 PM

The only method that worked for me was stopping cold turkey.  Good luck. 

SoKamele
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Cold turkey...8 years ago.

MIL cold turkey 1 year ago...So proud of her!!!!!!!!! over 40 years smoking and she quit and didn't even tell me or DH!!!!!

Samantha_1629
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I stopped when I found out I was pregnant (in 2005). I couldn't smoke knowing what it could do to my baby. I guess that doesn't help much. Lol! But you can do it! It's not easy but it's worth it. Good luck!

aikimomof3
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Get rid of the patches. Seriously. You have to do it cold turkey and get the nicotine out of your system. You are still addicted to the drug (nicotine), but now you're just getting less than you're used to. If you go cold turkey, it takes 72 hours for the nicotine to get out of your system, and then your body can start to heal itself.

I quit 3 years ago.

A good resource that I used were these online videos done by quit.org. The guy's name is Joel Spitzer and he's a motivational speaker who specialized in quitting smoking: The videos are a little cheesy, but I learned a lot and it really helped me while I was quitting.  http://whyquit.com/joel/dayzero.htm

Hope that helps some! Feel free to PM me if you need to talk/vent :) I definitely understand what you're going through.

liz.1986
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:37 PM
This. I know a lot of people that have quit using his site and videos, and there's a facebook support group that is based solely on his method - cold turkey.

Quoting aikimomof3:

Get rid of the patches. Seriously. You have to do it cold turkey and get the nicotine out of your system. You are still addicted to the drug (nicotine), but now you're just getting less than you're used to. If you go cold turkey, it takes 72 hours for the nicotine to get out of your system, and then your body can start to heal itself.

I quit 3 years ago.

A good resource that I used were these online videos done by quit.org. The guy's name is Joel Spitzer and he's a motivational speaker who specialized in quitting smoking: The videos are a little cheesy, but I learned a lot and it really helped me while I was quitting.  http://whyquit.com/joel/dayzero.htm

Hope that helps some! Feel free to PM me if you need to talk/vent :) I definitely understand what you're going through.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
HKing01
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:51 PM
I quit smoking cigarrettes when I got pregnant with my first child in '05.
eatyourveges
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Knitting helped me.
earthangel1967
by YVONNE on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I haven't smoked in a very long time I'm 45 now and I smoked from ages 10 until 17.

I quit cold turkey but still cheated here and there for up to a year after "quitting".

I am no longer in practice but am a certified hypnotherapist(hypnosis/therapy).

One of the reasons I am no longer in practice is bc you can get FREE self hypnosis all over the internet now including on youtube. Go to youtube and type in the search box,  Quit smoking self hypnosis or similar words and when you have any quiet time even if its bedtime, listen to one of those videos lay back and close your eyes and relax you can listen to the same one each night or different ones each night but hypnosis is cumulative so the more you do it the deeper it goes and the more effective it is. But you have to WANT IT for REAL if you are doing this secretly against your will and are mostly doing it for someone else then it wont work or stick. Contrary to common misconception hypnosis will NOT make you do anything against your will.

Another helpful important tip I always made sure my previous clients  knew is if you quit a bad habit and thats it you leave a void like a hole in the ground for you to keep slipping and falling back into that void again and again backsliding, its much more effective to find new good habits or hobbies or whatever to fill that void. Keep your hands busy too, for me that is what took the longest to overcome, feeling like I didnt know what to do with my hands.

YVONNE

earthangel1967
by YVONNE on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:40 PM

PS good luck and I am proud of you for your efforts, several years ago I sat at my precious way too young mother in law's death bed as she took her last breaths from losing her fight with lung cancer. It was so sad when they found the first small lump in her lungs she quit immediately and with chemo etc it went away but then it came back with a vengaance She said she wished she woudlnt die in vain if she could make any smoker quit before it was too late for them but she said she didnt thhink they would bc she knew other people died from it and it didnt stop her bc she never believed it would happen to her. It was so sad.

YVONNE

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)