Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What stuff does your partner do that usually annoys you but really might actually be awesome?

Posted by   + Show Post

How to Help Your Marriage: Don't Be a Jerk

Posted by Kristen Chase on February 20, 2013

Don't be a jerk in your marriage! Every time I go away, my husband decides it's the perfect time to do major home improvement projects, which makes so much sense since he's alone with four children.

I know I should be grateful because it's awesome to have someone who is so ambitious, but the problem is that the projects never actually get done. The ceiling in the girls' room is still unpainted. Our shower was unusable for a week. And what exactly are the kids doing while he's putting in our closet? Honestly, it becomes more of a hassle than a help.

But since my goal for 2013 is to work on my marriage, I've been trying to change my attitude. And maybe, just maybe, it's working.

While I was in New York City throwing a party, my husband decided to redo our kids' bathroom, and like times before, when I returned, it was still incomplete. No light, no sink, and no working shower.

And like times before, I moaned and groaned, and gave him a pretty hard time about starting something and not finishing it. He apologized and told me that he wanted to surprise me and "Hey, see the cool new hooks on the wall and the nice paint!" to which I looked, then sighed as I always do. 

Basically, I was a complete jerk

After thinking about how I had spoken to him, I realized a few important things:

1. His intention was not to annoy me, but surprise me and make me happy. He was trying to do something awesome.

2. The bathroom wasn't really in use in the first place, except for the sink, and considering we have two other bathrooms, it was a minor inconvenience for the kids to move for a couple of days until he finished.

3. I would probably have never done the bathroom myself, so it was either have him do it and get it half done for now, or me never do it all.

Then I felt really bad for being a jerk.

Now look, there are a few things he could have done as well, like get some help to finish the project, or find a sitter so he could get more done. As incredible as the intention of this is, I think it's important to be realistic and understand the time involved.

But still, I decided that the good outweighed the inconvenient in this case, and told him so with a card. Nothing fancy, just a word of thanks to acknowledge his effort. 

Apparently even though the sink and the light weren't working in the bathroom, the mirror was. Glad I stopped to take a look.

What stuff does your partner do that usually annoys you but really might actually be awesome?

by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Replies (11-14):
MamaToCarson
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:16 PM

I am literally sitting here lol'ing at this! Ha ha! My husband is always groping me and it's so annoying but I'd miss it if he stopped lol!

Quoting Mrsfarr:

Lol. They love us so much, they want to murder us...

Quoting amanda81919:

I love it, but he's almost pushed me into a hot open oven plenty of times.

Quoting Mrsfarr:

My husband humps me ALL THE TIME. I cut myself shaving once cuz he kept thrusting into me. Lol. I love it though. It makes me feel attractive after just having a baby.

Quoting amanda81919:

Um...he. makes me laugh when I'm trying to be mad at him. Humps on me when I'm cooking and washing the dishes

veganistic
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:21 PM
What a great topic! My SO rents tons of movies from netflix and the library - More than we can possibly watch - and then makes a back up and returns them. So we have a massive unbelievable movie collection, but he does it so obsessively and is so OCD about it. That it drives ne NUTS. but it is kind of awesome, and dd has soooo Many movies she would never have bc i don't buy movies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jojo_382
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:23 PM
This same thing plus he's always trying to keep me on top of things of remembering things constaorntly of things I forget which I know I need to learn to appreciate because he's just trying to help me

Quoting amanda81919:

Um...he. makes me laugh when I'm trying to be mad at him. Humps on me when I'm cooking and washing the dishes

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Swt7
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Always on my neck to look out for DD to make sure she's well,the point is he doesn't want her to cry at all,no falling,no nothing yet i've got alot to take care of than being on the look out of DD,however he does that to provide security and safety for our daughter,sure.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)