Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kid in our bed! How to remove him!

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:14 AM
  • 27 Replies
How do I get my 17 month old son to sleep in his bed? He won't fall asleep there he cried until he throws up multiple times.

If I put him in his bed after he's asleep if he wakes up he searches for us with his little hands. If he doesn't find us he sits up and cries until he vomits.

He takes up the whole bed and moves all night long. It's driving me And my dh crazy!! How to fix this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nsparky1964
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Let him cio.. he may puke the first night or two, and no one will sleep, but he'll learn that he has his own bed, and kids don't sleep in parents bed...
*referring to puking, clean him up and all, then leave him in his bed*
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JulieBoyd
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:45 AM
Omg! Weve been having that same problem!! You dont know how many times this kid headbutts us in the face, shoulders, chest, etc. I swore he broke my cheekbone one day!! Its unbearable
anotherandree
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:02 AM
2 moms liked this

AlannaMaria
by Alanna on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:22 AM
It will take you being consistent and having lots if patience and not giving in.
furbabymum
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:24 AM

We put him in his bed. If he cries severely we go in and sit next to him till he falls back asleep. He does not get removed from his room. Consistency is the key.

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:30 AM
You have to stay strong! Assure him all is ok! Pat him n the back but don't take him out! Make sure his tummy isn't overly filled either, to reduce vomiting!
huntmom1104
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:38 AM

oh goodness i had this with my son he slept with me until me and my fiance met and we let him sleep with us for a while... Until he would beat us i mean leave some good bumps and bruises... But one day i put him in his bed he cried he cried and got sick.. I cleaned him laid him down patted him told him it was ok and went back to bed... I wouldnt jump every time he cried because then he knows he wins you come back... After a few hours i took off the shirt i had been wearing all day and put it on a teddy and put it next to him after that he went to sleep didnt wake up the next night i put it in there with him when he was asleep took it out and left the teddy he was fine... Just be consistant in whatever you choose to do dont let them win ... good luck ... sorry i meant took the shirt left the teddy lol

beeky
by Alexandra on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Let him cry!  It will be tough for a few days but he will soon get the message.

emillz92
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:14 PM

My son is only 4 moths old, and we never let him sleep in our bed (only in a bassinet in our room), but we did start sleep training him last week. We're using the "nice Ferber Method". As hard as it is, it's OK to let him cry for a little while. If he cries after we put him to bed, we check on him at already set intervals that increase in time so that way he knows we're there, but he also knows we're not gonna race to his side and he can be more indepepndent. After 3 days of doing this he easily sleeps through the night now and rarely cries for us. For your son, I'd say after letting him cry for a few mintues, clean him up if he gets sick, and let him know he's ok and that you're there, but then leave the room even if he's still awake. He has to know that he has his own bed, and if you're consistant, he'll learn.

MomToovey
by Marianne on Feb. 22, 2013 at 3:12 PM

We transitioned our daughter to her own room & bed (crib) when she was 4 months old. I don't think my method of using the swing will be helpful to you.

I do agree that it's going to take consistency and perseverance. Don't change things up and don't give in or it'll just take longer for him to make the transition.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)