Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm friends with my ex.......

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:10 PM
  • 9 Replies

I posted this in another group and thought I'd throw it in here also.....

My ex husband and I get along amazing. I wouldn't go so far as saying we are friends but we're on each others fb and he calls with issues and I'm happy to help. I would NEVER go to him with issues between DH and I but I have talked to him about work stuff.

DH is also friends with him and will talk to him every so often about football or whatever. The X knows I tell DH (and yes I do) pretty much everything we talk about and respects that I won't talk to him about personal issues with DH and I. 

Here's the thing. His (ex DH) family bashes him for it and says its not normal. The ex is station in Alabama which is where I am from and where my family lives. We have joint custody of our 2 kids but since its so far I have them most of the time. We (DH and I) are planning a trip this Xmas to see my family and obviously the X will be there. Dh loves my mom and she loves him and same goes with my X. So pretty much everyone gets along amazingly. It's great, mosty stress free and so good for the kids. Don't get me wrong, the bginning of our divorce was really rocky and it was uncomfortable telling him when I started dating, but we've managed to grow up and decide the kids need to NOT go through all the bullshit so many other kids go through.

But his family seems to always want to start drama. It pisses me off beyond belief. Apparently we're suppose to be at each others throats and DH and the X are suppose to despise each other. Why is it so unacceptable for ex's to have a good healthy relationship ESPECIALLY when they have 2 children together??? Hell we were all planning a Disney World trip fall of 2014 with Us, My family, the X and if he's got one whoever he's with. I don't understand why people have to thrive so much on drama and cause it where there isn't any...

Vent Over

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
southernpixie
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it's amazing that you get along with your ex. I see nothing wrong with it at all. I am sure it is easier on the kids too.  His family just needs to butt out.

amanda81919
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:22 PM
That's awesome. You all are doing it right, being friendly or cool with each other is great especially when kids are involved. And just bc you and your ex didn't make it as a couple doesn't mean you can't like him for his personality, especially since you did love him at one point. Rock on all of you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lillybug222
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:10 PM
My mom had two kids. My dad had two kids. They got married & had me & then my brother.

Because my older siblings lived all over the US, when they did come home, we all got together. It was fine.

Even now, if I have a get together with my siblings, my dad invites his ex wife & her husband. He always says it's her kids & grandkids, too.

She has a mentally handicapped cousin that needs assistance regularly. She & my dad take care of his needs.

I think it's great that you get along!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CameronsMommy23
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:12 PM
I agree! If they cause drama and make it hard on everyone boot their butts out of your lives! You're doing the right thing by getting along.

Quoting southernpixie:

I think it's amazing that you get along with your ex. I see nothing wrong with it at all. I am sure it is easier on the kids too.  His family just needs to butt out.

Krysden
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:44 PM

I think it's great that you get along together so well and that your husband gets along with him.  As long as your ex (and you) don't let his family drama get to you then it should be fine.  Just remind yourselves that some people just thrive on that stuff.   Good Luck

hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:59 PM
I'm sorry, I'm with you. I invited my ex to my wedding, we are not " close" but we co parent decently and as he is alone with diabetes, I Check in on him regularly.
MomRocs1102
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:08 PM

that's great most people cant stand to be in the same room with an ex me included.  His family is just a bunch of miserable people and they cant stand the fact that you two have a good relationship continue to have a good relationship and don't deal with them.  Is ex involved in everything family related you all plan?  If so  I agree ex shouldn't be involved in everything some trips he doesn't need to be apart of but as for the family he should put them in their place and move forward.  just my opinion

Join Adorable Ladies Group, where women can have free uncensored conversations, and discussions minus the bashing and drama. 

www.cafemom.com/group/118542

AlannaMaria
by Alanna on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:16 PM
I think it's amazing also! That's very rare that everyone would get along, but it's such a great thing for the kids! I wouldn't worry what they say, they don't have to understand. If it works for all of you and you're all happy that's all that matters!!
Mrs.Missi
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:41 PM
I am still great friends with my exbf of six years. We didn't talk for 13 years and got back in touch through Facebook, we talk and text. My dh knows so does his wife. The first time he called my dh was sitting next to me. It freaked me out so bad I couldn't answer the phone. I broke up with him a month before I met my dh. If you are truthful you have nothing to hide.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)