Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you didn't get a gift on your anniversary would it bother you?

Posted by   + Show Post

BF and I have been dating for 2 years.  On our anniversary, we went to dinner, then he came home and he called his mother to bs for a cuple hours.....until I went to bed.  I had a gift for him, but did not give it to him unless we both mentioned it.  He had nothing for me.  I'm kind of hurt that he didnt even think of it.....but i dont know if I should be.  Would you be upset if you got nothing?

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:44 AM
Replies (91-100):
Megan11587
by Megan on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes. It does. 

And it pertains to your statement and responses, as well. 

You are clearly immature and delusional.  You should probably go hang out in Mom Confessions.

Quoting 1der1:

Doesnt pertain to the question. 

Quoting Megan11587:

Again, how old are you and how long have you been with your SO?

Quoting 1der1:

One that is meant to be should not require work.

Quoting Megan11587:

I'm sorry, did you say that a relationship shouldn't require work?

How old are you and how long have you been with your SO, exactly?

Quoting 1der1:

Please don't take any of my questions or answers as sarcasm but.......if he got himself into this drinking problem, don't you think he should be getting himself out of it rather than you holding his hand?  To me...a relationship shouldn't require work. 

Quoting skippito:

We were teens when we first got together so we grew up together that in itself takes work. I was sexually abused as a child and worked through that with him by my side, trust issues, insecurities ect.. takes work to get to a good place emotionally. He had a drinking problem a few years ago that he worked through with me by his side. We have a home and two children we work to strive for balance in our lives as parents, lovers, and friends. Uh I feel like i could bore you to death with the details of working on a relationship. But you get the idea. For us it takes work daily, monthly, yearly if you will, to make it strong and lasting. I supose i see each day we get to have together as a gift.

Quoting 1der1:

A question for you if I may.....what did you do to "work hard on your relationship?"

Quoting skippito:

Our years together mean the world to me! You are misunderstanding me. We are proud to say 18yrs and counting especially in this age of divorce. We celebrate our lives together in many different ways. I am saying that because we don't do a traditional celebration with gifts my feelings are not hurt by not recieving one. I have worked hard on my relationship and can say with certainty it means more than words can express.

beeky
by Alexandra on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:02 AM
2 moms liked this

We don't do gifts for our anniversary.   We celebrate the milestones and for the rest, we just spend time together having some fun.

huntersmama711
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow, this post has been quite entertaining. Df and I have been together going on 6 years, some years we exchange gifts, some I would give him something or just him giving me something. We don't care about the gifts. It's about celebrating our love together, which is actually something we do throughout the year. Neither of us has a sense of entitlement. If I never get a gift from him for the rest of our lives I'll be okay with it
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MrsSexyCurtains
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Honestly we always go out to dinner as a family and sometimes I'll get a gift. I'm spoiled so I basically buy whatever I want throughout the year. We never celebrated the years we dated, only the years we've been married. If it bothers you that much, I'd just talk to him and let him know how you feel. Communication is a key thing in any relationship, he may not know how you truly feel.
CharlotteRose
by Charlotte on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I let V Day, and Xmas slide for presents however Anniversaries and Birthdays are a must and I would give him his gift actions speak louder than words kwim? Yes, I would be very upset.....

1der1
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Curious.....why didnt you celebrate the years you dated?  Arent they just as significant except you didn't have a piece of paper between the two of you.

Quoting MrsSexyCurtains:

Honestly we always go out to dinner as a family and sometimes I'll get a gift. I'm spoiled so I basically buy whatever I want throughout the year. We never celebrated the years we dated, only the years we've been married. If it bothers you that much, I'd just talk to him and let him know how you feel. Communication is a key thing in any relationship, he may not know how you truly feel.

MomOfTwo0713
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this
I totally agree with you. My husband and I have been together since we were 15 married at 17 and we will be married for 6 years in August. You do have to work to make a marriage work. Anyone who says different has not been married or it failed. Its like the saying goes, "nothing in life worth having comes easy". You have to try every day, communication, consideration, etc. And in my opinion, living with someone else married or not takes work. No two people are exactly alike. There is bound to be sometime they disagree on something.

Quoting skippito:

We were teens when we first got together so we grew up together that in itself takes work. I was sexually abused as a child and worked through that with him by my side, trust issues, insecurities ect.. takes work to get to a good place emotionally. He had a drinking problem a few years ago that he worked through with me by his side. We have a home and two children we work to strive for balance in our lives as parents, lovers, and friends. Uh I feel like i could bore you to death with the details of working on a relationship. But you get the idea. For us it takes work daily, monthly, yearly if you will, to make it strong and lasting. I supose i see each day we get to have together as a gift.

Quoting 1der1:

A question for you if I may.....what did you do to "work hard on your relationship?"

Quoting skippito:

Our years together mean the world to me! You are misunderstanding me. We are proud to say 18yrs and counting especially in this age of divorce. We celebrate our lives together in many different ways. I am saying that because we don't do a traditional celebration with gifts my feelings are not hurt by not recieving one. I have worked hard on my relationship and can say with certainty it means more than words can express.

dipsetgrl06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Serious question.. how old are you two? I don't think materialistic things should be that important. I've been married almost 7 years and together for almost 8. I don't expect gifts at all for anything.
CrystalPystol
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Not at all. The time I get to spend with my DF is enough for me. I cherish every moment.

beeky
by Alexandra on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Not all relationships require work.  Mine has been very easy going.

I'm almost 50 and we're coming up for our 25th anniversary.  How about you?

Quoting Megan11587:

I'm sorry, did you say that a relationship shouldn't require work?

How old are you and how long have you been with your SO, exactly?

Quoting 1der1:

Please don't take any of my questions or answers as sarcasm but.......if he got himself into this drinking problem, don't you think he should be getting himself out of it rather than you holding his hand?  To me...a relationship shouldn't require work. 

Quoting skippito:

Quoting 1der1:

Quoting skippito:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)