Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Counseling question

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:55 AM
  • 7 Replies

Has anyone ever went to marriage counseling? If so, how has your relationship been? Are you still together or did you go separate ways and why.

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:02 PM
I havw not thankfully!
But if it can help? Then why not?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AlannaMaria
by Alanna on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:05 PM
I haven't been to marriage Counseling, but I've been to counseling for just me and it helped me a ton! DH and I both agree if we ever had marriage issues that we were struggling with we would go to marriage counseling! I certainly think it can help if your both up front and honest and use the tools they give you to help resolve issues in your marriage.
PerfectAccident
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:09 PM
We have been in counseling since about October. We were seeing this lady I used to go to for therapy. He didn't like going the first couple times but then absolutely loved her. We were making progress, when all of the sudden she tells us she's moving six hours away. She suggested some other therapists and were seeing a guy now bur not so sure about this one. After our first therapist left our relationship went back to square one where our problems started.vyou have to find a therapist you like. If one doesn't work for you, find a new one.
Krysden
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:58 PM

BUMP

abigailesmommy
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:02 AM

We have been to marriage counseling. We went a couple times after some major life issues. It really did help and was a great opportunity to communicate safely and leave the issue there until the next week. It also helped us appreciate the things in the other person that usually bother us. Since we are Christian it was important for us to find a Christian counselor. I suggest you try out different ones until you find one that you both respect and trust. Having a counselor that you trust is key. We loved our counselor.  

We haven't been in several years but have been doing so great since and still use some of the skills we learned. We were on the verge of a divorce when we began counseling. 

Another key is that both people have to want to make it work... if you don't want to put in the effort and make it work it wont do anything. 

Krysden
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:43 AM

BUMP!

Lslk
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Thank you all for the replies! My SO and I are currently going to counseling but I'm not sure it is helping. For those of you that did go to counseling, how long did it take for you to feel that it was making a difference?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)