Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Newly engaged

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:39 PM
  • 3 Replies

I got engaged over the weekend and now I am questioning whether I made the right decision.  My fiance and I have been together for over 6 years and he finally has found a job that he likes or so I had thought.  The day after I said yes to his proposal he proceeded to tell me how awful things were at work and that he didn't care if he got fired or not.  I am scared to death, I have a 13 year old from a previous relationship that I am responsible for I don't think I can take the added drama of him not having a job.  I know I couldn't afford the rent and added household expenses on my salary alone.   I cant believe he didn't tell me this before he proposed. it would have made a huge difference in my answer.  I have talked to him about it and he tells me not to worry that everything is going to work out.,  He says I am silly for worrying these things.  The thing is I've been through this stuff before and I wasn't married or engaged.  I know the outcome of this situation and I don't want to put my daughter or myself through it again.  Im just happy she wasn't old enough to remember the first time where I was living on grilled cheese and macaroni just so I would have money to feed her well and pay the bills.  It causes me great anxiety to have to deal with this. I just don't understand how he can not care about the consequences of his actions.  I am really close to calling off the engagement,but I don't know if its too rash of a decision.   Thoughts??

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
MrsLondon
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:45 PM

You don't have to call it off but you definitely shouldn't rush down the aisle. Me and DH had a long engagement. When we finally got married it was like the stars aligned for us. That day was the right time. He has to make a huge effort to provide for his family and take that serious. You don't want to marry a bum. Just be careful and don't ignore the red flags.

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Just don't rush down thw aisle! You've been together for over 6yrs. already. I am assuming you are living together? Good luck to you. I'm sure things will be work out.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
2lilmamas
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Take your time and wait to see what happens. Lets things get better where you know it wont effect your relationship.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN