Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ugly kitchen

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:27 PM
  • 16 Replies
We have one of the ugliest kitchens I've ever seen and I've begged my husband to let me paint it, but he says we would have to paint it back the color it was before we move because we rent.
I don't want to paint the whole room, just the cabinets, it would only take like two cans of paint, they're shit brown in color and it looks like there has been years of grime splattered on them. I'll post pictures later if I can.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TommyAbby
by Melissa on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Did you talk to your landlord to make sure it's okay that you can paint?? 

rayroe2
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 5:42 AM
I hate my kitchen too...the renter before us redid it and now there holes in the floors and behind the cabinets and rodents get in. Lucky my cat gets them before they get into anything but its gross and nasty and I can't wait to move
Krysden
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Talk to the landlord and if he/she says it's ok to paint just make sure you get it in writing before you do it (include the paint color in your written proof)

bad_mama2011
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Ugly kitchen

This is what all the cabinets look like in our kitchen, a dark ugly brown, but you can't see all the gunk on them in this picture. I think maybe this one doesn't have much gunk on it because it's the furthest from the stove, but I would probably have to sand it before I painted it because it won't come off when I scrub it.
The landlord won't be in until tomorrow, so I'll have to wait until then to call her, but it would be such a vast improvement from what it looks like now to just paint them white; I don't see why she would make us paint them brown again before we moved.
bad_mama2011
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:02 AM
Are the holes visible or did you not notice them until after you already moved in?

Quoting rayroe2:

I hate my kitchen too...the renter before us redid it and now there holes in the floors and behind the cabinets and rodents get in. Lucky my cat gets them before they get into anything but its gross and nasty and I can't wait to move

BKozICan
by Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Is it sticky grime (cooking grease over the years)? For that grime, clean it with ammonia--not water and ammonia, full strength, wicked awful stuff. Open as many windows as possible with fans blowing out. If it is really bad, wash with it, let it sit wet, then wash some more-- sometimes it peels off in a sheet if it is really bad.

Quoting bad_mama2011:

Ugly kitchen

This is what all the cabinets look like in our kitchen, a dark ugly brown, but you can't see all the gunk on them in this picture. I think maybe this one doesn't have much gunk on it because it's the furthest from the stove, but I would probably have to sand it before I painted it because it won't come off when I scrub it.
The landlord won't be in until tomorrow, so I'll have to wait until then to call her, but it would be such a vast improvement from what it looks like now to just paint them white; I don't see why she would make us paint them brown again before we moved.

bad_mama2011
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:15 PM
That's why I would rather just paint over it because it might take off the finish if I use something too strong and it's STILL UGLY! Lol

Quoting BKozICan:

Is it sticky grime (cooking grease over the years)? For that grime, clean it with ammonia--not water and ammonia, full strength, wicked awful stuff. Open as many windows as possible with fans blowing out. If it is really bad, wash with it, let it sit wet, then wash some more-- sometimes it peels off in a sheet if it is really bad.

Quoting bad_mama2011:

Ugly kitchen

finlyhappy65
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Looks like the dark brown cabinets I had in my first house - with bright orange counter tops (think of The Brady Bunch kitchen) and light pink/blue wall paper LOL.....

Please check with the landlord before doing anything, you don't want him to charge you for "damages" when you move just because it's different.  What about a degreaser?  You could ask at the hardware store, they would (or should) know if it would strip the finish off.

BKozICan
by Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:25 PM

The paint won't stick unless it is cleaned. It will either bead or bubble.

Quoting bad_mama2011:

That's why I would rather just paint over it because it might take off the finish if I use something too strong and it's STILL UGLY! Lol

Quoting BKozICan:

Quoting bad_mama2011:

Ugly kitchen

Gmgej
by Michele on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

If you paint over grime in a month they wll be a bigger mess then they are now. Wood cabinets absorb grease and will push the paint right off.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)