Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Buying a Wedding Dress Online

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:43 PM
  • 16 Replies
Have you ever bought a wedding dress from an online website?? What was your experience with it and if you remember, what was the website called that you used??

I found my dress at a designer resale shop. Thing is, it's over a hundred dollars more than my budget. I found the same dress on a few websites for a couple hundred dollars cheaper. I just can't find a website that isn't sketchy.

It's a dress from the fall 2011/spring 2012 collection. So it isn't in stores or it's been discontinued.

Should i just give up on it and find another dress?? We are still going to some stores Friday to try again..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MJP76
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I did but only because I didn't need it fitted or tailored. It was a one size fit all kinda dress and then I had a bodice rope to tie around me to make the gown "fitted". My expirence was fine, no issues. However, if I were going with something that was more tailor made, I would have gone to a local store.

hplesha
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:51 PM
Would you buy a dress if it was made in the standard size and then get it tailored after you received it instead of measuring yourself and taking the chances of it not fitting?

Quoting MJP76:

I did but only because I didn't need it fitted or tailored. It was a one size fit all kinda dress and then I had a bodice rope to tie around me to make the gown "fitted". My expirence was fine, no issues. However, if I were going with something that was more tailor made, I would have gone to a local store.

MJP76
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:55 PM

From what I understand if you buy your dress at a local store they will tailor it for free. 

I would not buy a dress in the standard size. A lot of wedding dresses run small. I have seen women who wear a size 6 actually needing to purchase a size 9 in a wedding dress. If it wouldn't have been the dress I bought (the one size fits all dress) I would have wanted to go to a store to try on dresses. Just because it looks good on the model online doesn't mean it will look good on you. People's proportions run so differently.

Quoting hplesha:

Would you buy a dress if it was made in the standard size and then get it tailored after you received it instead of measuring yourself and taking the chances of it not fitting?

Quoting MJP76:

xoxRachelxox
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:47 PM
I wouldn't buy a dress I couldn't try on first. There are too many styles and some fit differently than others.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beeky
by Alexandra on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:07 PM

I got married before the internet existed.

eatyourveges
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:22 PM
I have never seen a bridal store that does this (I was a seamstress at a bridal store). Bridal alterations generally run at least $100-200.

I bought mine online but it was maternity from David's bridal.

Quoting MJP76:

From what I understand if you buy your dress at a local store they will tailor it for free. 

I would not buy a dress in the standard size. A lot of wedding dresses run small. I have seen women who wear a size 6 actually needing to purchase a size 9 in a wedding dress. If it wouldn't have been the dress I bought (the one size fits all dress) I would have wanted to go to a store to try on dresses. Just because it looks good on the model online doesn't mean it will look good on you. People's proportions run so differently.

Quoting hplesha:

Quoting MJP76:

MJP76
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:28 PM

That's why I said "from what I understand" because it's only something Ive been told. I'm not a wedding dress buyer..lol

I went wedding dress shopping with my cousin. When she tried on her dress the lady told her that any minor alterations would be free.

Quoting eatyourveges:

I have never seen a bridal store that does this (I was a seamstress at a bridal store). Bridal alterations generally run at least $100-200.

I bought mine online but it was maternity from David's bridal.

Quoting MJP76:

Quoting hplesha:

Quoting MJP76:

AlannaMaria
by Alanna on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:36 PM
I would buy it a little big that way you could always have it tailored to fit you perfect. I found that dresses ordered online usually run smaller. It's easier to tailor a dress smaller then smaller to bigger. Good luck!!
hplesha
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:02 AM
I tried on the dress at a bridal resale shop, but it was out of budget. I found the same dress online at a very reasonable price. Thing is, I've never ordered dresses from the internet

Quoting xoxRachelxox:

I wouldn't buy a dress I couldn't try on first. There are too many styles and some fit differently than others.
Luv.My.Kidz
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:07 AM

I was going to buy my dress online... however I made the mistake of going to David's Bridal and tried on a few dresses and found my dress there. It's $380 over my dress budget but it fits pretty much perfectly and it's 2 sizes SMALLER. The dress that was online was beautiful, discontinued but I was worried that I would have to buy it larger because of my boobs!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)