Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

taking each other for granted

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:52 AM
  • 16 Replies

This will seem really random but I have come across a lot of couples in fact I cant name one of my friends that is happily married or whoose husband spends time with there kids or spares an hour away from an xbox to spend time with there spouse.   We are not one of those couples, we actually like and love each other, my husband actually prefers to spend time with his son than play video games. It makes me really sad that that is considered something unique. What has happened to our society? I would like to meet one couple that genuinly is happy with there spouse as I am. This all got me thinking about how I met my husband and wanted to share it with you ladies as a conversation starter.

How I met my husband I was in the military at the time and was in tech school waiting on my orders to what base  we were going to go to finish our training. I got Florida, I was really excited but the next day I felt so sick out of no where and missed one day of class. They phased me out of the class and I lost my orders and had to graduate a week late. Pissed as hell and depressed I went to my new class and for the last month of training was basically an outsider (the class had been together for 5 months) The entire class got orders to Nevada.  I joined the military because I was at my lowest point in life my family/home life was a mess I had no faith or hope in love or even friendship I just wanted to serve my country and be successful no strings attached. I met my husband my first night in nevada 4 years later we had a beautiful toddler and a another baby on the way. My husband saved me in every single way he could have. Gave me such happyness and healed parts of my soul I didn't even know possible. Spouses often take each other for granted this is a problem we as a couple will never have. 

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Zazayam
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:07 AM
1 mom liked this

That's a sweet story. Isn't it nice to be one of the lucky ones? :)

I'm with you. I don't know anyone that has what I would consider even a somewhat healthy relationship. My hubby is my best friend, we spend a lot of time together, he enjoys the kids and he enjoys me. I wouldn't have it any other way. I think it's sad that it's not normal, but it makes me all the more thankful for what we have. :)

alexareh
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I couldn't agree more! Very happy to meet another happy couple :p

Quoting Zazayam:

That's a sweet story. Isn't it nice to be one of the lucky ones? :)

I'm with you. I don't know anyone that has what I would consider even a somewhat healthy relationship. My hubby is my best friend, we spend a lot of time together, he enjoys the kids and he enjoys me. I wouldn't have it any other way. I think it's sad that it's not normal, but it makes me all the more thankful for what we have. :)

jesuschild06
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Even though me and df have our problems and working on trusting right now I thank him everyday that we are not like all the other couples we know. We spend time with another every single day. We still text I love yous. We snuggle everyday. We talk everyday. We are best friends. He simply made a mistake that we are working on TOGETHER because I believe that is what a couple should do. And things are going wonderfully.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Rosebud27aj
Come on 2nd Trimester!
Yesterday at 2:44 PM
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm with you...my dh rather spend time with me and our 2 boys...

JC2223
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Sweet story! I think my DH and I are the couple we know that actually has a "happy" marriage, but we make a conscious effort to keep it that way. Communication and appreciation are the key elements that help us maintain this in our marriage. Two books that really helped us be effective at keeping complacency and "taking each other for granted" at bay for us were "The 5 Love Languages" and "His Needs, Her Needs".

19andmomtobe
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:09 AM
2 moms liked this

Right there with ya. Although my dh loves picking at me in front of people so I'm sure outsiders think our relationship is rocky when in fact I'm the happiest Ive ever been in my life

CharlotteRose
by Charlotte on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:20 PM

What an awesome story and thank you for sharing!  In these times we always think we will be here for one another all the time but sadly that's isn't the case.  Im glad your life is full of love, respect and happiness :)

earthangel1967
by YVONNE on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Todd and I too never take eachother for granted. We didnt even believe in soulmates until we met and also we both agree that we are one anothers very best friend we've EVER had in our entire lives. There is no one else we'd rather spend time with over one another in addition to our 5 adult kids and their significant others and our parents and siblings. We purposely choose to not make additional friends bc we both agree we honestly dont want to spread any of our time up btw more people than eachother and those closest ones I mentioned. We make priceless memories together every chance we can and literally savor each second like it could be our last bc you never know! Todd and I LOVE our time together no matter where we go or what we're doing and even when we're doing nothing at all, as long as we're together.

YVONNE

Krysden
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:59 PM

We also have a very happy marriage and he's a wondeful dad.   We've been together 13 years (married for 10).  We don't always agree on everything but we've never fought.  We've always been great together and have even been told by outsiders how you can just tell by seeing us together how in love we are.  It's a beautiful thing.  Thank you for sharing your story. 

cntrygal214
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I think every one slips up and takes someone for granted every once in a while.  My SO and I are very happy though and he likes me to just be in the room with him even if I'm busy doing something else.  He is such a sweet big old man.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)