Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breast feeding heartache

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:57 PM
  • 5 Replies
I'm heartbroken;(. I have a 3 month old boy who came out of the womb and breastfed immediately. I have just been told due to a medical condition, I can no longer breastfeed my son. The medication I'm being put on is to prevent kidney failure, I've been spilling protein since my pregnancy. I'm not as upset at feeding him formula ( he has been supplemented), as I am about losing that special bond.
I am fortunate to be able to stay at home with my children now. I was unable to do so 3 years ago when I had my daughter. I've grown so close to my children since we've been home together. Not taking the medication is not an option- I don't want to bring my babies to dialysis three times a week... But I find myself making excuses to wait just one more day before I start taking the meds. Anybody else go through this? Any advise on how to wean him without pushing him away??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
LDavis33
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:00 PM

I can't say that I know what you are going through, but I wish you luck and hope you get better soon.  Just remember that you are doing what you need to do to keep yourself healthy for your little ones.

anotherandree
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I had to wean my oldest when he was just under a year because I needed to go back on my stronger anti-depressants.  I bawled the entire last time I BF him.  However, I found that I still held him like I was BF him when I gave him a bottle.  What I mean is that I still tucked his little arm under mine to hold him really close.  He didn't seem to mind as much as I did. :)  Just know that you are taking care of YOU so you can be in his life for good.

LilTymomma
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Not really experinced anything like so,...but I only breastfed my lil one for 3 mos. For some reason, I was unable to produce more milk and lil one was biting My Nipples off!!!,..it was a bit painful.

I don't think you will loose any bonding, since a guy can feed his baby and bond too. In my experince, I am really close to my lil one(he's now 2). We've never been apart from each other, well at least no more than 6 hours on for special occassions very few times a year. Being a SAHM too, I guess you have an advantage and plenty of time to bond with him in different ways.

I felt very depressed not being able to BF him, it really sucked!!! But you need to take care of yourself, so You can take care of your lil ones. Good luck!!

Love Always,

Angel

typing

Gmgej
by Michele on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:18 PM

I only BF my oldest for 6 weeks stopping broke my heart. With that said he is now 17 almost 18 and looking at college. We are very close and not Bfeeding him did not dampen our bond in the long run. (((((((((momma))))))))) you will be fine, and so will your baby. Allow yourself to mourn the loss of connection and them look at the future.

jojo_star
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:48 PM

I'm so sorry :( I have no advice, because I've never had to deal with this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)