Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Counseling

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:10 AM
  • 80 Replies
1 mom liked this

If you tried it did it work, and how long were you in counseling? My SO wants to go to counseling before we get married.

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AlannaMaria
by Alanna on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I have been! I loved it actually. You have to find the right counseler you connect to, I had one counseler that I just didn't connect with. I found my second counseler and totally connected with her and saw her once a week. I went to her for about 6 months or so. She really did help me and I changed a lot and over came a lot of issues that weighed on me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mamaofficer
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:23 AM

How much does it cost to go to counseling?

newlife2013
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:31 AM
I have been in counseling for a couple of years, initially for the kids then I found I needed to let go of the disgust I felt towards their dad, it was not I lost the love of my life or jealousy, just a disgust that this is who I was with? The questions in counseling with a good therapist make you think of your decisions and it could only help. It encourages couples to be respectful of each other at all times, I wish I had done it before.
AlannaMaria
by Alanna on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:35 AM
I had insurance so they paid a portion of it. I honestly can't remember. You can call a few and get prices from them.

Quoting mamaofficer:

mamaofficer
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Quoting AlannaMaria:

I had insurance so they paid a portion of it. I honestly can't remember. You can call a few and get prices from them.

Quoting mamaofficer:

Thanks

mommadana
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:06 AM
3 moms liked this
Premarriage counseling is a great way to begin marriage. It can teach you how to fight fair in all situations as well as get all issues on the table, such as finances and expectations that you didnt think to discuss.
furbabymum
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

premarital counseling isn't much more than a couple sessions with the pastor who is marrying you. It wasn't too effective imo. I've been to lots of post marriage counseling and that is very effective.

polyhymia
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

we went and it worked for us. We were only in for a couple of months, and starting out it was just to work through some problems we have had and really just get on the same page with everything. We got engaged about halfway through so it kind of turned into a premarital counseling. I would recommend others doing it before they get married(or move into together). It is just a good way to talk about things that people do not generally think to talk about. They help establish a plan for whatever needs to be done and we discussed boundaries (our personal views), how to fight fair, and parenting.  Alot of it was stuff we already knew, but hearing it from someone else just made it more solid.

MomToovey
by Marianne on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's an amazing idea!!! My DH and I did premarital counseling. It helped us get our hopes, dreams, expectations out on the table before we said our I Do's. We got on the same page on every issue, learned how to communicate our feelings properly, and set realistic goals for our relationship. We still build on that counseling 6 years later - always changing, and always improving - and we are so strong together!

MomToovey
by Marianne on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:43 AM

If you get married by a pastor, he/she will do it at no cost. That's usually only about 6 sessions though. If you need more, then look into what your insurance will cover.

Quoting mamaofficer:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)