Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Step children

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:48 PM
  • 12 Replies
Do they make or break you? How do you cope? Is it all roses?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
raisingmen
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I can't really speak from a step parent point of view but no part of raising any kids is all roses. I married my DH when my oldest was 5. They have an awesome relationship. I think it has a lot to do with everyones attitudes.
AlannaMaria
by Alanna on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this
My DH is a stepparent and he loves it! He is actually going to be adopting her :) she has been asking him too and we are planning on starting the process soon :)
Bertieb
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:23 PM

It will be different for everyone. Depends on the ages you come together, involvement of birth mom and your relationship with all of them.  MY skids are teens and above and the last one leaves for college in the fall. We have a good relationship I think.,  I'm dad's wife and a friendly ear, like an aunt.

bookworm14
by Mandy on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:20 PM
Honestly it's about to break me :-( at least, about to break my boyfriend and I up. I knew it wouldn't be all roses, but things have been incredibly tough. The oldest is almost 12 and is trying to go against everything I say. I've had a disciplinary role, things started good. But the last year has gone downhill to the point I am considering leaving. There's obviously more, but the way my boyfriend has a lack of dealing with everything, I'm not left with much choice.
SP_Mama
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:22 PM

They neither make us or break us.  I "cope" by being the same person for SS that I am for DS.  It's definitely not all roses because of BM, but SS has nothing to do with that.

jojo_star
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:00 PM

It isn't all roses, no child is, but I love my stepson just as much as my biological child. He's mine. 

blessedmother28
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:14 AM
I love all.children. Unfortunately my step.daughter takes after her ghetto mom, my mother in law acts like her mom, my man doesnt discipline her....it is what it is...i hate when she comes over n runs all over my house and goes back n tell ppl everything me n my bf says.. Its annoying
KellyNips
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:41 AM
1 mom liked this

the step daughter is 11 going on 25!!  and her mother encourages her behavior.  her mother is nothing but trash and she is raising her daughter to be like her -- when we have her we instill rules and guidelines, but as soon as she is with her mother, all that goes out the window.  my step daughter is a sweet child, but she is being influenced by her mother -- this girl knows more about life than a young girl has a right to know.  her mother treats her as an adult because her mother doesn't have any friends -- she burns those bridges real fast.  so, remember when you become a step parent, you are dealing with the other parent.  think long and hard on it.

nsparky1964
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I have a sd17, and tbh, its no different for me than when my dds were that age..its not fun...but eventually they grow up and move out
deadlights86
by Emily on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I love my step son he lives with us full time and even though he can be a bit of a pest at times he's still a sweet kid.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)