Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would YOU do?

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:00 AM
  • 23 Replies
In 2015, it will be my husband & I's 10 year wedding anniversary. When we got married, it was a simple, read some lines & say I do, at a counter at the JP. I have always said that I would really love to have the wedding of my dreams, because what little girl doesn't think of having a beautiful wedding all their life. So we agreed that we would have a wedding & re-new our vows for our 10 year. So here I am having all these ideas & planning; I literally had everything planned in my head, we just had to buy everything & set things up. We are a little over 2 years away & I started talking to my husband the other day about how we should look at the different venues that I had in mind because I wanted it out of the way & not stress over it. He has pretty much always just shrugs his shoulders & says, whatever you want; whatever you want & pick is fine with me, just tell me when & where & I'll show up. Well the other day when I brought up that we need to get more serious about it & start looking, he said that he didn't even want a wedding. I can't believe that after knowing how much a wanted one, he just completely axed it. He says that's not what he said & didn't mean it, but I remember his words & now they are stuck in my head. I know that he only says that he doesn't want one is because he doesn't want to spend the money or time & be around everyone; he is so cheap (we call him Mr.Krabs) & so unsocial. Then it got to me that I'm not going to spend the money or time or stress over something that he doesn't even want. But I refuse to not do anything because it's our 10 year & it's special to me. So I memtioned Vegas! We could just go there for a week because we have never been & just re-new our vows in a fun way & have our honeymoon all in one trip. & He seems on board with that. So it may not be what I dreamed about all my life but at least we will both be happy & do something to celebrate our special day.
Now my question is... what would you have done? Or what did you do? I want some other ideas & stories about you celebrating your anniversary.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:35 AM

We got married strictly for love and were broke. We took a 3 day honeymoon to the beach. We said when we hit 25yrs, we would go to Hawaii. Well 25 has come and gone. When dh asked me to sit and start planning , I couldn't. It was a very stressful time and it would have been a huge waste of money. When we hit 30 last year he said OK Hawaii here we come ! I said NO I need to have a week with all of us(kids) together. So Jamaica here we went. We had such a good time. I loved being with my adult kids. Things change, priorities change. Some day we may get to Hawaii or maybe not. I'm blessed with a man I love and wonderful kids.What more could a woman ask for ?

MrS.GiFFord
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this
I guess I am the only little girl in historybto never dream of a big wedding lol. I love my hubby with all of my heart and don't see the point in a big wedding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KrazyLoveMommy
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:51 AM
I had the big, overpriced wedding and what do I have to show for it now? A divorce cerificate. My husband now, we literally decided to get married the night before and went to the courthouse to do it and went out for pizza with the kids after! It was so fun!
For you, I'd say the Vegas wedding would be great...or even somewhere on a beach. Either way, you both get what you want!
boshs1andonly
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:54 AM
We got married at the courthouse and the people that mattered couldn't even be there. So for our 10 years we're doing a small ceremony with a few friends, with dd as the flower girl (and the big white dress I missed out on last time lol).
CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:58 AM

We had a big wedding with the works and I wanted something fun like Vegas or the beach.  I wouldn't have done it any other way now though.

I think for you guys, Vegas or something more of a destination would be fabulous (by the way, we re-newed our vows in Vegas!).  You can still have the beautiful wedding in Vegas with no pressure and have a fabulous time.  If you guys are beachy people, you can even do a beach or an all-inclusive and so it that way.  I think it would be a wonderful way to renew your vows.

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I honestly don't see renewing vows at 10 years. Way too soon imo. 30 years maybe but 10....

Our 10 year is next year and we are planning a vacation.

MamaMoopsie
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Ouch! Yeah, that would have taken the wind out of my sails too! I don't think I would be satisfied with a Vegas renewal. I would want people there to celebrate us. I would want the dress and ceremony. That's me though. You can still have the dress in a Vegas renewal, but would anyone be willing to go to Vegas to witness it?

DH and I are tenatively talking about doing a renewal on our 10th anniversary, but that's 10 years away. We both agree that there were some things about our wedding we would have liked to have done differently, we were under a huge money constraint at the time so a lot of the things I had dreamed of didn't happen.

lilbit53009
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:51 AM

after 9 years we're getting married on friday at the JP. we're planning to have a small wedding ceremony next summer on the beach near where my mom lives. it'll be a vow renewal/10 year anniversay all in one. i never wanted the whole big wedding thing.

your idea to go to vegas sounds awsome! that's something i would wannt do for our 10 year marriage anniversary

Uzma_mom_of_2
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:07 AM

My husband did the same thing to me, only it was because I wanted to throw a large party for turning 30. Told him everything I wanted, talked about it for years, but then time comes to pay and he said no, initially.

After we talked about it, I asked him "What exactly were you confused about when I described what I wanted for my birthday party? At any point in the past 3 years I've been talking about what I wanted, you never gave any indication that it would be a problem, but now it is?"

I did get my party. Not because I brow beated him into it, but because he realised that it was something important to me, and he had said yes. (He was thinking a $200 something or other)

mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:16 AM

We went on a cruise and celebrated an early 10th, dh's 30th birthday and the fact that our dossier was going to China...that was almost 8 years ago. We truly went on the cruise so that we could finally relax after spending almost 11 years trying to have a child and finally finishing the paperwork for our adoption. It just happened to fall on Dh's birthday and a few months before our anniversary...normally, we don't do anything but a movie and dinner for our anniversary..<---we're not big on celebrating occasions. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)