Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not sure where to post this but....have any of you ladies had a tubal ligation?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:33 AM
  • 33 Replies

Poll

Question: Have you had a tubal? How was it for you?

Options:

I had a tubal and was perfectly fine shortly after

I had atubal and had a terrible experience

I never had a tubal

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 46

View Results

I am having my 4th and last baby and have decided to get my tubes tied somewhere between 6 and 12 weeks pp. I go back for another appt with my O.B. in two weeks for my 34 week prenatal appt, and I should be signing papers and talking about this with him...but I would really like to hear others experience with this, how the surgery went, if you were able to leave the hospital the same day or if you were kept overnight, how the healing process was, etc.

*Oh and just to add, my husband is thinking into getting a vasectomy as well, we want to be extra safe that we don't concieve again, 4 children is enough for us, and I have heard too many stories of mens or womens tubes growing back together, so we think if we both do this that we will be 100% ok

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I had a csection and had my tubes tied right then and there. I went home 4 days later and was out shopping same day.

knagsmom
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:40 AM
I have had a horrible experience.since.having mine in 08. I should have let my Hubby do a vasectomy instead. To this day I still have painful periods and they have put me on oral birth control to help that but nothing has. Good luck
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cntrdmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:42 AM
Wasn't bad at all. Well my right shoulder hurt a bit. Upper abdomen felt bloated for a bit. But I could easily function afterward. I took like 1 day off work and was off the weekend. The guys at work thought I was kidding when I called in for surgery and couldn't believe I was back at work Monday. Lol.
sumtermom3
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:54 AM
Had mine done in 2003. The surgery its self was easy but my periods since are horrible!!! Really heavy bleeding, horrible cramps and last 7 days. Have tried several birth controls nothing helps. Also I have pain during ovulation so two weeks out of the month I deal with the aftermath. Even hubby says if he knew how bad it would be for me he would have had a vasectomy.
mom_of_one_boy
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:55 AM
Same lol

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

I had a csection and had my tubes tied right then and there. I went home 4 days later and was out shopping same day.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaScho88
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:36 AM

BUMP!

Melissa_4
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I had my tubes tied after giving birth to #4.  She wound up being an emergency C-section, so they did it right after the placenta was removed, but if she was a natural birth it would have been done the next morning.  It's better to have it done at the time the baby is born so that when you hit the 6 week pp time you're already healed up from it. 

I won't lie, it was painful...but we don't have that fear of getting pregnant.  I'm 43, and our youngest is going to be 7 this Sunday.  This is not the time of our lives that we want to be worrying about birth control.

purpleducky
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I had Essure done. I feared my tubes growing back together.

Samantha_1629
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:10 PM

I had my tubal done when I had our last baby in Aug. 2011. They did it the same time they did my c-section so I can't say how much was from the tubal and how much was from the c-section itself. But I love it. My periods are normal and way more predictable. They're not super heavy or painful. And I love not having to worry about birth control. I've had a great experience so far.

prncesspeach
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:17 PM
I had mine tied in August when I had my daughter. My sides hurt a little afterwards. My periods are shorter but irregular & just a Tad heavier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)