Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Permission?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:06 PM
  • 60 Replies
Before we got married DH was talking about not having to ask my Dad for permission to marry me (we already had a DS and my parents love him and kept asking 'when?')
But I told him he DID need to ask someone for permission... My (at the time 5 yo) DD had to give her permission.... He proposed on a Friday after DD had already left for her Dad's. Monday he sat her down and told her "I have a Very serious Question to ask you, and you HAVE to say YES!" Then asked her... It was so sweet, she had a huge Smile and looked at all of us (my SDs were there too) and said "you're going to be my Step-dad? And they're going to be my Step-sisters?! YES!"
Lol was so cute!
I know asking permission from Fathers isn't practiced like it used to be. But did your S/O ask permission from your Dad/Mom/Child(or even sibling) to marry you?
Share some stories!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anryan
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:08 PM

No, my dad passed away prior to both of my guys coming into my life. David likely wouldn't have but i know Irish would have.  He has mentioned time and again that he would have liked to have asked my dad. 

Beenhereforever
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:08 PM
My husband called my dad And asked my kids before he asked me.
OHgirlinCA
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

My father lives over 2000 miles away.  My husband asked my daughter, who was 11 at the time.

ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

No.  I'm an adult, not a piece of property.  It was my choice to marry him. 

MrsLondon
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:11 PM

No mine didn't. He hadn't even met my Dad before he proposed. He lives out of state.

DragonMother10
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:13 PM
It's ultimately the woman's choice in the matter. I don't understand having to ask permission. If you want to get married and your dad says "No" are you not going to get married because dad says "No"? That seems to be the reason why that tradition isn't practice as it used to be. A parent should not dictate an adult child's life.
XoBrowningMomXo
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:14 PM
2 moms liked this
DH & I had our first at a young age so we weren't planning on getting married at all at that time, just staying together and enjoying what we had. But two years ago when we found out I was pregnant with our second child, we celebrated at my parents house. After everything cooled down, our son Ayden came running out yelling "Married, Married Mommy!" Confused I asked what? Ayden pointed back and said "Daddy & Puppup". Being a blonde I didn't grasp it at first but minutes later I was engaged to my now husband who asked my father and was given his blessing (:
me-n-mygirls
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Awe that is so sweet :)
No, I never knew my father. my stepfather abused me all kinds of ways, my mother wanted to "rip out my heart, stomp on it, and then set it on fire!"
So..... my BFF mom walked me down the isle---her dad was going to but got stuck at work towns away :(
I adore your story though!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
connie45
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:21 PM
No not permission, just the respect due my parents, to tell them before we told anyone else. His parents already knew he was going to propose. I was 33yrs old and my husband to be was 38 at the time. We were both out on our own for years and working on out careers.
furbabymum
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Mine did. He's so socially awkward my parents felt awful for him. I guess he drank 4 big glasses of water before my mom just came out and asked him what he wanted. lol

He didn't ask for permission though, he asked for their blessing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)