Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Marriage counseling & "the 5 Love Languages"

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:08 PM
  • 5 Replies
Hubby and I had our 2nd counseling session today. The chaplain (hubby is Army) gave us the book "The 5 Love Languages." He wants us to do the quizzes at the back to learn our individual love language, then read the book together and discuss it over the next couple of weeks.

Has anyone read the book with their spouse? What was your experience with it?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
USMCwife0530
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:19 PM
I've read it but DH hasn't. I want him to read it though. It's a good book. Good luck to you and your hubby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:21 PM
I personally think it's a bunch of bunk, but you'll find lots of women in here who said its helpful
furbabymum
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:33 PM

I've read it, DH hasn't. I think it's pretty basic stuff honestly. You know how you like to be shown love so just tell your spouse that. Eliminates the need to read the book.

momma-t42
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:34 PM
Yes, my husband and I read it out loud to one another. One would make dinner, the other would read... Or, one did dishes, the other one read.
I found it helped me understand my husband more. His love language is acts of service... So when I have dinner ready when he gets home from work, he feels loved by me.. Of course he likes physical touch as well ;)
My LL is 'words of affirmation.'

We've been married 23 years (in June), have gone to marriage counseling during times in our marriage, and what you're doing will ONLY help improve your marriage.
Make time to read the book together while being productive like we did... It to the pressure off and prevented us from having expectations on the other. Such as when thoughts go through our minds that day "he must not want our marriage to work because he hasn't asked about that book, or hasn't asked to read it."
Because I know us women appear far more interested in getting through tough times than I'm sure most of our men do. But we are wired so differently that it will just make reading the book less stressful if you find a way to read it together.
It's a good book.
You're doing a good thing!! It's worth the work!!
Best wishes!
sdsgrubb
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:41 PM

I use the 5 love languages for my kids and my daycare kids. Made my hubby read the book. He wasnt really up to reading but made him read it. He's in the army too

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)