Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dont have my license yet. need advise

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:22 PM
  • 19 Replies
Im married, have a two year old and pregnant. I have my high school diploma. I was in a tough situation before which prevented me from getting my license. I need to get my license before I have this baby but my husband and the rest of his family tell me I need to wait bc apparently I stress out when I drive and I'm pissed off. I don't think he understands how hard it will be to get my license after I have the baby. I'm beyond pissed right now. Then on top of that he doesn't want me driving with 2 kids in the car. He is not at all controlling but ill be damned if I don't feel like I'm being controlled right now. I have my permit btw. That's it. I'm so pissed off right now. I'm trying to get my shit together and I feel as if people are trying to stop me. I'm very close to telling him that ill do what the fuck I want so get the hell over it.

Eta. Not usually like this but I'm pissed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:24 PM
WHY ARE YOU DRIVING??? You don't have a license, do you even realize what would happen if you hit somebody???
momma-t42
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:26 PM
..and you're pregnant. :)
I'm curious as to how old you are?
I mean, I can understand wanting your license and all but I'm guessing if your own husband is sharing concern for you to wait... Then wait. I don't know why people confuse concern with controlling?
chillemi78
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:26 PM
Why will it be so hard to get your license after the baby?
lilmama3189
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:29 PM
Im 24? Have 4 kids & don't have my license, & I dont have any intention too anytime soon.. My anxiety goes threw the roof when I drive & I have panic attacks @ every 4 way & every corner..
IQuitCounting
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:29 PM

If NOT doing it is stressing you out... doing it can only be an improvement I would think... Can you calmly explain that to him?  The more reasonable you are about it the less he can nay-say it, at least as far as any rational person is concerned.

Side note, I didn't get mine until I was 26.

true-love-21
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Dude I have my permit and car insurance, chill

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

WHY ARE YOU DRIVING??? You don't have a license, do you even realize what would happen if you hit somebody???
true-love-21
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:42 PM
I'm 21. I just feel like I'm kinda worthless without it. I guess I feel like I have high standards for myself. I feel bad enough that I can't help with income since I'm a sahm, but to put all the responsibility on him for driving to doctors appts too? Idk

Quoting momma-t42:

I mean, I can understand wanting your license and all but I'm guessing if your own husband is sharing concern for you to wait... Then wait. I don't know why people confuse concern with controlling?
pittymama
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:50 PM

i read the tough situation part but.. why didn't you get it before you started a family? if you stress out when driving then he's probably looking out for you and the kids. 

chillemi78
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:01 PM
I can understand it being a goal, its a good goal to have. But your husband married you this way and I'm sure is aware of the challenges. SAHMs can do a lot to contribute to the household, even financially, without bringing in a paycheck. So relax, focus on what you can work on now and worry about the license later. It will be less stress for both of you.

Quoting true-love-21:

I'm 21. I just feel like I'm kinda worthless without it. I guess I feel like I have high standards for myself. I feel bad enough that I can't help with income since I'm a sahm, but to put all the responsibility on him for driving to doctors appts too? Idk

Quoting momma-t42:

Mommabearbergh
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:55 PM
I can understand where you are coming from. I am twenty six with no license lived in the city my whole life till recently so never really needed it plus I have been in three car crashes in my life always been the passenger so sitting behind the wheel of a car has given me some serious panic attacks. I would wait till after you baby's born. Take a class that works with your schedule and take your classes and test using their car
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)