Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Is it ok to punish all the girl in a class for a few misbehaving? (PIOG)

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:47 PM
  • 6 Replies

I know this isn't related to this group, but I respect the opinion of many women in this group.

My daughter came home today and told us that her teacher made all the girls in the class sit out for recess because some of the girls in the class were arguing. (over whether they were friends or not) The argument did not involve all the girls. My daughter told her teacher she wasn't part of the fight, the teacher said she knows she wasn't but ''don't worry about it''. Am I wrong to be upset and want an explanation as to why only the girls in the class were punished? Apparently this issue has been ongoing in the class and the teacher was frustrated. If this was an ongoing issue I would think the teacher would notify parents and ask us all to talk to our children in order to solve the issue. I do not see how punishing the girls that weren't a part of the arguing going to make them feel very friendly to the ones causing the issue and making them sit out. I tried calling the school but no answer. I plan on calling Monday morning. Is it okay to just punish the girls or just punish the boys?

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
furbabymum
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:50 PM

If it were all girls than yes. This kind of sounds like it's from Mean Girls. Didn't they have an all girls assembly in that movie to work on issues. Anyway, if the teacher could pinpoint who was the problem and who wasn't she should only have punished the problem girls.

newwifenmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:56 PM

I do not think that this is okay, its unfair. I used to hate when my teachers did it also.

MagicTemptation
by Christina on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:04 PM

The teacher told my daughter that she knows she wasn't involved and that she knew who was. By my way of thinking, then those girls should of been sent to the counsolers office. 

Quoting furbabymum:

If it were all girls than yes. This kind of sounds like it's from Mean Girls. Didn't they have an all girls assembly in that movie to work on issues. Anyway, if the teacher could pinpoint who was the problem and who wasn't she should only have punished the problem girls.

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Well this is something that is worth talking to the school about. I'd also talk to your daughter. This is certainly a teaching opportunity!

Quoting MagicTemptation:

The teacher told my daughter that she knows she wasn't involved and that she knew who was. By my way of thinking, then those girls should of been sent to the counsolers office. 

Quoting furbabymum:

MomToovey
by Marianne on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I remember when I was in 4th grade, there was a lot of cattiness going on between just us girls. Instead of being punished by not being allowed to go to recess - especially while the boys got to enjoy it - there was a counseling session planned and all the girls in my class were required to attend, even if they weren't involved in the cattiness. It was nice because no specific girls were called out, none of us felt punished, and we were able to get to the bottom of a lot of issues.

I think that would be a better way to handle the situation than keeping the girls in for recess. And even the girls not involved can benefit, because they can air their frustrations toward the situation, or at the very least, learn some communication techniques to deal with friends in a healthy way.

catrig
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Thay doesn't sound fair.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN