Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Divorce!

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:45 AM
  • 8 Replies
i am looking to divorce my husband of a year, he is lazy and does not take responsibilty for bills and our daughter. but i do not know where to start. we have agreed on the trems of our divorce. and do not want to deal with all of the courts and fighting, it will just drain our wallets and take time we could be spending with our daughter. any advice?
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Rachael-Dawn
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:57 AM
Wow that's quick. No counseling trial separation.... just one and done. I have one just like that. Anyhooow, they have lawyers that will draw things up like that no contest. That or I would just go up to the courthouse together and talk to someone. I'm sure they could find yall a quick route.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tnicole93
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:13 AM
we did try counseling. nothing worked. so yes unfortunately we are getting a divorce. we got married really fast and for the wrong reasons. so statistically the odds are against us. i just have no idea where to start.
KrazyLoveMommy
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:19 AM
All states are different so you'll have to do your research. Some states you can go in and file with no problems. Others are so complicated you need a lawyer just to file. In NC you have to be living separate for at least a year before you can even file so you need to find out what the laws are for your state.
chillemi78
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Each state is different, but in many states you need to be legally separated for a certain amount of time before your can file, 6 months to a year is typical. So, you may need to start with filling for separation. I think your best bet is to look for divorce lawyers that offer free consultations and talk to a couple to see what your steps should be. I know here in Virginia, if there are children, you must go before a judge, but there are still steps you can take to make it as quick and painless as possible. Good luck.
tnicole93
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Thank you all for your advice. we are finally almost divorced! Just waiting for the final decree to be signed by the judge. i have full custody of our daughter because he broke my nose. and we are perfectly happy with the new man in my life and her stepdad!
brannew
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Cover your ass and find a lawyer.  They take payments.  Know someone who tried to do a "fair" divorce and she is getting fucked.  Lawyer up! 

huntersmama711
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Really? New man that fast? Why not take time for just you and your daughter? And to call this guy her stepdad is way too premature.

Quoting tnicole93:

Thank you all for your advice. we are finally almost divorced! Just waiting for the final decree to be signed by the judge. i have full custody of our daughter because he broke my nose. and we are perfectly happy with the new man in my life and her stepdad!
pittymama
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:40 AM

and the cycle begins again

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)