Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Kay freaking Jewelers.

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:16 AM
  • 64 Replies

Anybody get jewelery from there? I have this emerald ring my hubby got me for Christmas the year before last and I've had to send it in 3 times now because one of the stones fell out and their half ass repair didn't do very well and it fell out again, and now three other stones are lose on it! Seriously?! I don't even wear it every day, and it's no like I'm super rough on it or anything. Plus, when i got it back the first time, the stone they "fixed" was raised up higher than the rest of them and I didn't like the way it looked, so I said something about them sending it back in and fixing it the right freakin way. The guy told me "oh that's just how they put them in now, if we sent it in it would just come back the same." So i said fine, and I deal with it because it's a small stone that eople don't see too much of anyway. 

I also had an opal ring from them, stone fell out and they won't fix it because opals aren't under warranty, which sucks, but whatever...

Yesterday we were having my 6 month inspection done and one of the stones in my wedding ring is lose, so they had to send that in! I wish we woul've known how crappy their work is before we gave them so much business. I've been really emotional the past couple days and I almost cried when I had to hand over my wedding ring. I don't like not having it to wear. But I'll put on my big girl panties and suck it up lol.  Has anybody else had this much trouble with them or any other jeweler?? Or am I just ridiculously hard on my rings somehow??

by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SierraLynn
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:28 AM
Oh wow. We have gone to Kay for almost everything and have never had a problem! I haven't had to send in my ring or anything, its only 4 years old though. Dh had to get his ring sized and sent in. We ended up not getting back the same style ring though, they explained that since his ring was Tungsten Steel he needed a new ring basically, that they can't be cut and re sized. And the colors he had they didn't carry anymore. They were very polite about it and answerd all of our questions and because of the mishap and stuff we were bot charged for the sizing or new ring. Dh actually likes the one he got back even better. It's not pure tungsten and is coated in black. So it scratches, but he thinks it looks rugged... Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KimTaylor76
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:32 AM

I've barely had my wedding ring for two years! and I don't even wear it in the shower or to bed or anything. maybe it's just our store lol who knows

Quoting SierraLynn:

Oh wow. We have gone to Kay for almost everything and have never had a problem! I haven't had to send in my ring or anything, its only 4 years old though. Dh had to get his ring sized and sent in. We ended up not getting back the same style ring though, they explained that since his ring was Tungsten Steel he needed a new ring basically, that they can't be cut and re sized. And the colors he had they didn't carry anymore. They were very polite about it and answerd all of our questions and because of the mishap and stuff we were bot charged for the sizing or new ring. Dh actually likes the one he got back even better. It's not pure tungsten and is coated in black. So it scratches, but he thinks it looks rugged... Lol

mudwrap
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:40 AM
1 mom liked this

No I've had several wedding rings (been married twice but got two rings on my first marriage coz I lost it) and none of the stones fell out. I tried to drop by the jewelry stores that advertises on tv that's in the malls and I was surprised how low the prices were. It really looks nice though but I wouldn't part without hard earned money on jewel rises from Kay jewelers. The diamond that they have are of poor quality and the metal  is also sub par. I figured the craftsmanship must be poor too. Waste of money. 

Serenity7
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 5:58 AM

No

cntrdmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 6:01 AM
1 mom liked this
Never had an issue. I go there for everything.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frzmamaof4
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 6:02 AM

Quoting cntrdmom:

Never had an issue. I go there for everything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TommyAbby
by Melissa on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:56 AM

I have only one ring from them and in the 6yrs I have had it, never a problem! 

WillsMOM72
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:58 AM
I only go to Reeds and they are super nice and great about repairs.
chillemi78
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:06 AM
Goodness, never had problems like that, but I don't think we have ever shopped at Kay. We used a local jeweler for a while because that is where my engagement ring had been made (it was hubby's grandmother's, she had taken the original stone and had it reset). And now, my husbands close friend owns a coin, collectable and jewelry shop and he gets me all m jewelry there. Yes, it is used, but they only deal in high end stuff and do all repairs on premise, so I have some beautiful pieces that I don't have to worry about repairs on.
KrazyLoveMommy
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Yup! I brought in my ring to be sized and when I picked it up, part of the setting and a diamond were burnt. I brought it back to them and they tried to give me some bullshit excuse like that's normal. They sent it back to be fixed and when I went back again and inspected it, the lady at the counter kept telling me if there was any discoloration, it was due to their lighting. It seemed fine but about a week later, however way they "fixed " it rubbed off and now I am left with a diamond that looks burnt. Would not shop again!!!! Very shady!!!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)