Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how many of you have seperate checking/savings accounts between you and your hubby

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:52 PM
  • 52 Replies

just wondering if you and your hubby have seperate checking and savings accounts. if you do please tell me why you do this. for me this is a big problem between my hubby and i. he does not want my name on any of this saving or checking we been married for 12yr's. never gave him a resone for me not being on there. he just tells me he got burned really bad from his x and does not want that to happen to him again. he can not trust me becasue of our fights we get into.

by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:00 PM

We have separate accounts but still both names on it! To us its no big deal! We share our bed,life,money is not an issue! Unfortunately one of us has to go 1st no need to worry about that after one of us gone fighting with the banks&what not!

xoxRachelxox
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I have a separate account for my oldest sons child support but that's it. 

We have two other accounts and I'm on both of them. 

We're married, what's his is mine and what's mine is his (though I'm a sahm so I don't have anything) 

Do you contribute financially? Is the money you work for going into that account as well? Or are you a sahm and he puts the money in? Not that it matters anyway, you should still be on the accounts. 

alexislovesjr
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I do... I had to. We seperated 2 years ago when he was 20 years old because of money disappearing... like $1000 in one day. Twice he spent  my whole pay check right after I deposited it. He had spending issues. We worked on everything but It still can be hard to trust him. I keep my own emergency savings account. We put the majority of our income in a joint account... especially because he makes most of our income now.

goddiddlyumshis
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:05 PM
we do, but we both have access to it. so its really no biggie.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chillemi78
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:10 PM
How about if he keeps his accounts, but you also start a joint savings in addition? He can still keep his "reserve" while building trust with you. I understand you being upset, he should trust you. But at the same time, asking him to do a complete switch and go against habits he has been used to for years will only leave him feeling defensive. So maybe there is some compromise to be found there and he can build trust.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AM-BRAT
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:16 PM
We combined right away so it's been almost 8 years.

It's too hard now for *us* to break them up now though at times I wish we could.

We don't share financial spirit animals lol.
AleaKat
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:19 PM
We have 2 joint accounts but one is more for me.
We have out navy fed that's used for bills and such and then we have a local bank account that he puts play money in for me- but it's in both our names.
DragonInfinity
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:26 PM

We have seperate accounts. He isn't very good with money (he is always spending). He pays me an allowance every 2 weeks, that I put into my account, so when his money is gone I have a cushion for groceries, house hold items, etc.... I also work and put it away in my account. I grew up very frugal (we always had money, but I didn't want to spend my hard earned money incase something happened, I spend on neccessities mostly), He grew up with little money so now anytime he gets paid, he just spends it on everything that we have no use for or don't need. It is so sad!

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safety in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming, "WOO HOO, what a ride!!!"

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:46 PM
We've been together for 13 years, married for 11 and never combined our money. It just works better for us, we both like it this way. We each work and make and spend our own money, so we never fight about finances. We split household expenses 50/50.
emarin77
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:47 PM

My husband and I have separate accounts.  There is really no reason for it but we just like having our own accounts.  My husband pays for most of the needs of the marriage and I am the saver.  I do pay for my own stuff sometimes and car.  We'll be 6 years in August.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)