Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Explaining surgery to children. ..

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 8:01 AM
  • 6 Replies
Oh, I am having surgery tomorrow and the questions my girl's are asking are interesting. Anyone else deal with this?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 8:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
NDADanceMom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 8:05 AM
I am always honest with answers but i don't ever tell more than they ask. Like "where do babies come from?" May only require saying mommys tummy, not a sex talk.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MMerrill
by Melissa on Apr. 15, 2013 at 10:34 AM

BUMP!

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Apr. 15, 2013 at 10:53 AM

I'm very honest with my daughter when it comes to medical questions, and I give her honest, clinical answers even though I have to explain what certain words mean. She's very interested in science and anatomy.

MomToovey
by Marianne on Apr. 15, 2013 at 7:57 PM

I haven't had to deal with surgeries yet, but I have a bad knee and do dr. prescribed rehab exercises at home each morning. She sees me doing them and hears me say why I can't play tag with her all the time, so she's always asking about my knee.

I usually just explain to her that I hurt it a long time ago, and since it will never heal on it's own, I need to do everything I can to keep it from getting worse.

hannahsmom238
by Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 8:06 PM

I'm having brain surgery in June and my daughter knows that I have tumor and I'm having surgery to make my headaches go away. I didn't go into details though. 

AmyParent
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 8:09 PM
When Ds was 3.5 I had to have an ileostomy (and a couple other surgeries) but he saw the home health nurse change my bag and he saw my stoma and even still calls it my "red owie". (Hes 7.5) When I had it fixed 9 months later he knew I was going to go have my red owie fixed. He said the doctor fixe it with some special scissors.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)