Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

question.....

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:40 PM
  • 11 Replies

So my son's father and I are divorced. In the CO it says that he resides in Colorado and I reside in TX, that our son will spend summers with him (which I was trying to put an end to because of what happened past summer anyways). His father has moved but has not told me. He has not told anyone that I know where. By law do I still have to send our son to him?

*Because I know people will wonder (I am a nosey person) last summer when I went to pick him up the trailer floor was covered in dog crap and the kitchen was a puddle of piss. In november his girlfriend called and spilled all to me about how he was treated last summer, how the trailer was kept, and the people my son was around (I know I can't control the people. That part just worries me). There is more but that is the jist. I haven't been able to do anything because no lawyer will touch it because they don't want the hassle of an out of state order. 

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jnich4
by Julia on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:56 PM

bump

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:00 PM
I don't know, I'd go to your local court house and ask somebody. I would guess that if he's not at the address on file when it comes time for him to have your son, you could probably get away with saying you went there and he didn't live there anymore. Since you don't know where he lives now and he never told you he moved. But keep in mind that is not legal advice, I truly have no idea what you 'should' do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jnich4
by Julia on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:09 PM

I called to ask if I needed to get my case transfered here or if I had to go through Colorado still (since so many lawyers didn't want to touch it), just wanted to know what was the law (if there was one) and all I got was "That is legal advice. I can't give you that." So I am afraid I will get the same response. Especially since this is a fuzzier line....And thank you. I was hoping maybe someone in here had been through this before.

Quoting polkaspots:

I don't know, I'd go to your local court house and ask somebody. I would guess that if he's not at the address on file when it comes time for him to have your son, you could probably get away with saying you went there and he didn't live there anymore. Since you don't know where he lives now and he never told you he moved. But keep in mind that is not legal advice, I truly have no idea what you 'should' do.

jnich4
by Julia on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Bump

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:05 PM
At my court house they have days where the place is crawling with law students looking for people to help them get experience. When I was filing for child support I happened to be there on one of those days and someone helped me out with legal advice for free. I have never had a lawyer. Maybe yours does that too. It's worth checking out.

It also might help to put something about your problem in the title of your post so you get responses from people who've been had cases in different states.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jnich4
by Julia on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:08 PM

I may have to check that out. Thank you. Maybe I could call the BAR association too to see if someone has any advice on how to get free/dirt cheap advice. Because I am flat broke. He doesn't even pay child support. 

Quoting polkaspots:

At my court house they have days where the place is crawling with law students looking for people to help them get experience. When I was filing for child support I happened to be there on one of those days and someone helped me out with legal advice for free. I have never had a lawyer. Maybe yours does that too. It's worth checking out.

chrissydan
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:25 PM
From what I remember from going through this as a child you still have to send him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jnich4
by Julia on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Even though he has moved to another state? If he just moved to a different house I wouldn't question it. 

Quoting chrissydan:

From what I remember from going through this as a child you still have to send him.

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:36 PM
No problem and that would probably be a good idea too. I never needed a lawyer, so I don't really know much about that. Also I found that the website didn't say anything about the law students being there, but there were flyers inside the courthouse.

Quoting jnich4:

I may have to check that out. Thank you. Maybe I could call the BAR association too to see if someone has any advice on how to get free/dirt cheap advice. Because I am flat broke. He doesn't even pay child support. 

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrissydan
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Yes because he is also a parent and has to live and such they see it as if he was maybe moving for a job or getting married ect. But keep in mind this was 27 years ago

Quoting jnich4:

Even though he has moved to another state? If he just moved to a different house I wouldn't question it. 

Quoting chrissydan:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)