Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Did somebody you really cared about not attend your wedding?

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:12 AM
  • 31 Replies

Did/does it really bother you?

My grandfather is the world to me and he told me the other day that he won't come to my wedding strictly because I'm not getting married in a church.  It hurts because he means so much to me.  My own best friend doesn't know if he can make it because he doesn't know if he can get off of work.  I understand this but he hasn't even tried to request it off and he's known about it since February.  My "secondary" best friend (who is my best friend's recently broken up ex) said that he wouldn't miss it for the world and, if he can't get off work, that he'll just call in sick.  I was looking for that kind of reaction from my "primary" best friend.

So did something like this happen to you?  If it did, does it still bother you?  What did you do?

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
earthangel1967
by YVONNE on Apr. 29, 2013 at 3:13 AM

My only sibling my sister Renee couldnt attend but it was only bc neither she nor we could afford to fly her here. We still made her part of our ceremony w/ symbolism and we sent her photos and a video which meant a lot to her and us as well. I know she wanted to be there and was in  spirit

YVONNE

Ber-Lynn
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 3:15 AM
My grandfather, grandmother, uncle, and great aunt all missed my wedding. I was sad about it because I really didn't have any family for my side. Yet I understood because my great grandmother passed away two days before my wedding.
Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Nobody attended mine but my parents and best friend because we eloped.

aodom323
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:25 PM

We are getting married next August.  I hope everyone important can make it.  I'm also hope that some people that I have to invite because they are family are not able to make it.  My step brother is an alcoholic and an asshole.  I can't stand him.  I am still on the fence about having alcohol at my wedding because I don't want him to ruin the wedding. My df aunts family I could live without.  They are very sweet people but they dont discipline their 8 kids.  2 years ago before my df got surgery to remove a cyst on his bum, one of the girls stabbed him in the bum with a safety pin, right where the cyst was.  The only thing his aunt did was say "no miss" so I really don't want 8 misbehaved children running around. 

charity62
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:42 PM

yes my guy best friend and my friend sarena

Wifemom.midwife
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:52 PM

No one was there. I do feel sad sometimes but it was our fault.

beeky
by Alexandra on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I wanted my best friend to be my maid of honour but she couldn't afford the flight.

Mommabearbergh
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 5:06 PM

My older brother not coming to my wedding made me so upset with him for a while and he did it to get back at my mother which made no damnce sense to me because I am his youngest sister. I eventually built a bridge and got over it 

createive
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 5:30 PM

My high school GF divorced her H and her H works with my DH.

I asked her if he could come and she said yes. Now I have to admit, I didn't tell her he was coming, bad girlfreind code. The day of the wedding when she found out her EX was coming she texted me at 3pm (5pm ceremony) and said she couldn't be in the same room with him. (she was brining her new BF, who I suspect might have been the instigator) I was too busy too get wrapped up in it.

We talked the next day and we told each other everything is good. I meant it. It's been 2.5 months I called a week ago and she hasn't called back.

I'm heart broken. She wasn't as good a friend as I thought she was.

Maybe I'll try calling her tomorrow...

Freela
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I'm sure that would bother me too. I was actually ticked off for the opposite reason- some members of dh's family gave us a very hard time when we moved in together prior to being married, to the point that they called me up and told me that I was going to hell and dragging their nephew (dh ) down with me! Bear in mind I had met them ONCE at this point! But they still showed up to the wedding... probably because there was a free meal involved. We haven't seen or heard from them since... and it's been 15 years! Good riddance!

Honestly, I can see being disappointed, but my advice would be to keep things in perspective. Sometimes things come up that make it pretty much impossible to go away (including nasty bosses who won't give time off. Sometimes it's just not negotiable- I know this is true for my dh... if the other guy on him team is off, he MUST be there. No exceptions.) Dh and I missed his brother's wedding because it was in India and I had a baby the same weak. They were so angry and it became such a big deal... and several years later there are still hard feelings. It wasn't worth the strife it caused everyone to make a huge deal out of it. It's not that we didn't want to be there, we couldn't really postpone our delivery to another week!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)