Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Do Any Of You Have Prenups or Postnups?

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:06 AM
  • 38 Replies

Do any of you have legal prenups or postnups?

What are some of the things addressed in your prenups or postnups if that isn't too personal to ask?

Was it your idea or his idea to get the papers and if it was his idea, were you insulted that he wanted them? Or was it a mutual decision?

YVONNE

by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
earthangel1967
by YVONNE on May. 2, 2013 at 1:56 AM

We were both cheated on in our pasts so trust was very scary for both of us, we talked about it openly and compassionately towards one another and we decided it would feel safer and less scary to have a prenup, to help heal the trust issues OTHERS caused so we could focus on US.

Ours is really short simple and basic and we both signed it and keep it on file at a lawyers office forever.

Todd and I figured what we both wanted it to say together at home and then went to lawyers and told them how to write it up.

It says:

If Todd ever cheats on me or divorces me for ANY reason OTHER than me cheating on him, he agrees to pay for my choice of divorce attorney and legal costs and to pay me whatever the court decides is a cost of living amount according to his income at the time of spousal support/alimony indefinitely unless I choose to live with another new s/o or get married. Obviously if I leave him for any reason other than if he was cheating, I get nothing other than equitable division of joint property.

That cost us almost $1000 but to us that showed that we both are VERY serious about sticking together and being faithful or else neither of us would have wanted to sign it if we believed we would ever need to use it.

We don't expect to ever see that paper again but it feels comforting to know its there and has really helped us heal our trust issues from our pasts.

Some people think of prenups or postnups as negative things or even insults but to us it was a blessing.

Ps. If I ever worked outside the home or could (have disabilities and cant drive bc of them either then we probably would have had me pay him spousal support if in reverse circumstances as we listed but we went into marriage with full knowledge and agreement that it would be with me as stay at home wife and Todd sole provider. Not saying that is right for everyone but it's what we both understood and agreed upon under the circumstances just in case anyone is wondering about it sounding unfair on that part, so you know we don't see it that way.  I don't want his spousal support outside of marriage ever anyway, I'd be devasted to lose him, I just want HIM in my life : )

YVONNE

BonitaM
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Nope

MrsLondon
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this

No.. I expect him to take care of his children and that's it. The court will take care of that should we ever separate. I don't need support for me.

2lilmamas
by on May. 2, 2013 at 9:18 AM
I dont but if I did I would not want anything from him.
mom4awesomekids
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 9:21 AM

No.

Mommabearbergh
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 9:21 AM
We don't have one but I am not against it
goddiddlyumshis
by on May. 2, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Nope
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JDsWifey
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 10:35 AM
We don't have one. I don't think we need it, but they make sense for some people.
Krysden
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2013 at 11:07 AM

no

manamott
by on May. 2, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I feel like they only really make sense for people who have things before they get married. Like homes, cars, etc. We didn't have anything of value so there was no need. I'm not against them but it didn't really feel necessary for us. Everything we have we've aquired since being married.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)