Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Exception's, just some questions

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 11:34 AM
  • 17 Replies

This is strictly just a curiosty, i'm not ragging on my DH in any way. Just wondering what the norm is in other people's houses

What are your chores at home?

What are his?

Do you make all the important phone calls or does he?

Who take care of the car? If neither of you do, who has to explain the mechanic what's wrong with the car (so they don't mess it up?)

What, in your relationship, are you expectd to know? (This can be, what he likes to talk about, what he doesn't, if he expects you to remember things about your car, etc)

Is there any situation in which your spouse would do something you would normally do for you? (like pregnancy, you have a newborn, or your sick.)

by on May. 2, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
manamott
by on May. 2, 2013 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

What are your chores at home? Everything

What are his? He works outside the home. He has to go get the dog at night and sometimes take out the trash

Do you make all the important phone calls or does he? I do. Doc appts, bills, etc etc

Who take care of the car? If neither of you do, who has to explain the mechanic what's wrong with the car (so they don't mess it up?) He does most of the car stuff. I clean out my own car and put gas in and stuff but if something breaks he fixes it or he takes it in.

What, in your relationship, are you expectd to know? (This can be, what he likes to talk about, what he doesn't, if he expects you to remember things about your car, etc) I'm not expected to know anything...I don't really understand this question. It's not like he gets upset if I don't know what he wants to talk about or if I don't know something about my car. 

Is there any situation in which your spouse would do something you would normally do for you? (like pregnancy, you have a newborn, or your sick.) All of the above. He does help out when I need him to no problem.

Samantha_1629
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this

We share all chores. There's no set his and hers. If one of us sees something that needs to be done then we just do it. Although he mows the grass. I'm not unwilling to do it but he prefers to do it.

I make 99% of all the important calls, mostly because I know all the information.

He takes care of the cars. He is awesome at mechanic stuff so that's totally his thing. The only thing I do it is help him clean them.

I'm not sure what we're expected to know. There's really no expectation like that in our relationship. We're always in tune with each other.

My husband has taken care of me through 2 c-sections (this includes helping me bathe, dress and bandaging my incision) and being sick a few times. He's awesome when it comes to picking up the slack when I'm down.

LilliesValley
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Ummm most stuff we share but he does mow the yard and change the oil on the car. I pay the bills. We each take care of our own appointments most of the time.

If I'm sick my dh stands up and does more. I'm pregnant and on bed rest so currently he's doing everything. He does it without complaining. I was really sick for over a year and yeah he took care of things. Were they perfect or how I would do them not necessarily but shit got done. Marriage is a partnership and a give and take. When I'm well I try to take care of everything I can so he doesn't have to worry about things.
leanntx
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 11:45 AM
I'm a SAHM, and he works 14 on/14 off, so while he's gone, I have to do everything. When he's home, he helps with everything.

When he's home, he doesn't do certain chores and neither do I, we help each other.

I usually make the majority of the phone calls, i.e. doctor's office, school, bank, etc.

The mechanic shop is owned by a family that we are very close to, so we both talk to them about our own vehicle. When it comes to regular service, we both take our own vehicles to be serviced.

It's my job to keep track of the schedule, because he usually forgets, lol, other than that, I'm not expected to keep track of anything, I just do.

We have a partnership, so if I'm not able to do something, he will do it for me, and vice versa.

Quoting madamlinwe:

This is strictly just a curiosty, i'm not ragging on my DH in any way. Just wondering what the norm is in other people's houses

What are your chores at home?

What are his?

Do you make all the important phone calls or does he?

Who take care of the car? If neither of you do, who has to explain the mechanic what's wrong with the car (so they don't mess it up?)

What, in your relationship, are you expectd to know? (This can be, what he likes to talk about, what he doesn't, if he expects you to remember things about your car, etc)

Is there any situation in which your spouse would do something you would normally do for you? (like pregnancy, you have a newborn, or your sick.)

BonitaM
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2013 at 11:50 AM

We are very traditional.  I take care of the home and our daughter and he takes out the trash, does home and car maintenance and generally is the one to take care of the yard.  When I work he takes on some more of the household chores and helps take care of DD. 

I'm typically the one that makes the phone calls but sometimes it just works out better if he does it..

I'm expected to know is the traditional housewife stuff...cooking, cleaning, patching up stuff, etc.
I expect him to know how to fix stuff, protect our family, and provide for us financially.

When I'm sick he does everything and when he's sick I take care of him.  We don't look at it as who does more we look at it as what we can contribute to make our life better together. 

kidlover2
by on May. 2, 2013 at 11:51 AM
What are your chores at home? Laundry

What are his? Cooking

Do you make all the important phone calls or does he? We share them

Who take care of the car? If neither of you do, who has to explain the mechanic what's wrong with the car (so they don't mess it up?) He takes care of his and I take care of mine

I'm expected to know all of the kids' information and medical needs/history although he takes them to appointments and goes to teacher conferences ( We've only been together a year. Give him another year and he'll be a veteran)

Oh and when I almost died from a routine surgery, he took on EVERYTHING.... Transporting two kids to and from 2 different schools, babysitting the 3 year old, all cleaning and cooking, doctor and ER visits, hosting my mother, I love this man.
JDsWifey
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Quoting madamlinwe:

What are your chores at home? Everything related to keeping it clean and taking care of the kids

What are his? Same as above, but when he has time to do so (he works out of town)

Do you make all the important phone calls or does he? I make most of them, he makes those that are related to his job or most that are only relevant to him.

Who take care of the car? If neither of you do, who has to explain the mechanic what's wrong with the car (so they don't mess it up?) He does

What, in your relationship, are you expectd to know? (This can be, what he likes to talk about, what he doesn't, if he expects you to remember things about your car, etc) I'm not "expected" to know anything in particular, we share information and remember things that are important to us...I don't have to walk on eggshells to avoid or make sure to bring up anything if that is what you mean. We both talk about whatever we want to whenever we want to LOL...we're best friends:)

Is there any situation in which your spouse would do something you would normally do for you? (like pregnancy, you have a newborn, or your sick.) He always helps out whenever he can or when I need him to, he generally offers to do whatever he can when he knows that I'm tired, stressed out, or not feeling well...I don't have to ask him.

Anryan
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Quoting madamlinwe:

What are your chores at home? I'm a stay at home mom so i take care of everything in the home (domestically speaking)

What are his?  Trash and anything heavy or mechanical or electrical.  Dave usually handles electric and plumbing issues, Irish usually handles heavy or welding type of things.

Do you make all the important phone calls or does he? I handle all the family busines as far as dr's, bills, etc.  If there is something with thier job or whatever they take care of that.

Who take care of the car? If neither of you do, who has to explain the mechanic what's wrong with the car (so they don't mess it up?)  Dave and Irish are both mechanic's (not by trade, but by hobby and necessity lol) so they fix the cars.

What, in your relationship, are you expectd to know? (This can be, what he likes to talk about, what he doesn't, if he expects you to remember things about your car, etc)  I don't think i am expected to know certain things but i make a point to know pretty much everything lol.  I know when warranties are coming up to expire, when cars need oil changes, what each of them likes (food, clothes, cologne, hobbies, etc), things that piss them off, where they stand on politics, religion, etc.

Is there any situation in which your spouse would do something you would normally do for you? (like pregnancy, you have a newborn, or your sick.)  Both of my guys are very observant, add to that i don't nag them to do things, and therefore they will jump in without asking if they think i need help.  It could be with taking the kids somewhere so i get a break , doing the dishes or running me a bath....

Anryan,

Wife to.....

David    and   Irish

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on May. 2, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Everything is 50/50 in our house. We both work, we keep our own money, we split bills evenly. We each do laundry, dishes, vaccum, and take out the trash. If something needs fixed that I know how to fix, I do it, if not I ask him to and vice versa. We are each responsible for our own vehicles and appointments, etc.

We are both grown adults and capable of doing what needs done.
villagemamma
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 10:20 PM

I usually handle the basic day to day chores but i will enlist hubby to help with them from time to time. He usually unloads the dish washer and takes out the trash.

we usually make our own important calls. As far as setting up meetings or appointments that usually me since i have a better handle on our weekly schedule.

Dh takes care of the car. i have occasionally put gas in it but that is about it lol. im pretty much mechanically retarded lol

We dont have any official expectations per say. we have known each other so long that its hard to not just know those things about him. Hubby loves explaining things to me even if he knows hes told me a billion times (sometimes i will ask him about something just to make conversation cause i know how much he loves explaining things lol) Our only real solid rule that we have for one another is no major purchases without discussing it first.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)