Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Where is the line for a wife's duties? Explanation and Poll

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 8:47 PM
  • 26 Replies

Poll

Question: Afer marriage and children do a woman's duties lye...

Options:

Only inside work

Both as she chooses

As the husband chooses

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 47

View Results

I am a SAHM. I do the normal housework, cooking, cleaning, helping kids with homework, the whole nine yards. HOWEVER! I was raised a tomboy. I LOVE mowing the yard. I mowed the yard my whole life. After hubby and I got married I continued to mow the yard 99% of the time. Pregnant, sick, heart monitor.... it did not matter. It was my thing. Not only do I get the excersize because I push mow I don't get being in the house cleaning all day but it's peaceful. I love the smell of my grass and all the built up frustration works itself out of my system. Ok so last year hubby decided to get a riding lawn mower. He decided he wanted to be all manly and such  so I cut back to mowing maybe 25% of the time and let him do his thing. I'm supposed to be like.... Martha Stewart or something I don't know. Well he mowed 1/3 of the yard last night and came in for a few minutes for me to go pick up his aunt from work. When I got back I told him I wanted to finish mowing. He told me "no.". I said "excuse you, I been in the house all day doing housework, I wanna mow.". "No! Your not gonna mow the yard" he says. "Why?"...."Because I said no.". I put my foot down and told him he wasn't gonna tell me no to mowin the yard. I was gonna mow it whether he liked it or not and went to it. He stood outside smiling at me after the boys got in bed the majority of the time. It was weird. Anyway so I guess my question is ..... 

by on May. 2, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this

D)  whatever You both decide on how the work will be split. My husband has always helped around the house. He does laundry, floors, beds, irons. The only thing he doesn't do it cook. I'm good with that. I love to cook. I do some outside work. I used to do a lot more. Then had an accident that limits what I can do.

BonitaM
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2013 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this

lol Sounds like he just wanted to get you heated. 

preacherskid
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 8:56 PM
2 moms liked this

This.  Before DH became dsabled we split duties equally, depending on what we were good at.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

D)  whatever You both decide on how the work will be split. My husband has always helped around the house. He does laundry, floors, beds, irons. The only thing he doesn't do it cook. I'm good with that. I love to cook. I do some outside work. I used to do a lot more. Then had an accident that limits what I can do.

CafeMom Tickers
jojo_star
by on May. 2, 2013 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this
However you both decide. Dh and I both work full time, we spilt all the chores and housework up between the two of us, and our children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rugratsmommy4
by on May. 2, 2013 at 9:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Dh helps in the house when he can. I'm a sahm too. Im disabled so doing outside chores is mainly on him but I do what I can outside. Just like repairs inside, I do what I can and he does the rest. I do almost all the cooking and cleaning but. thats because I'm a little ocd on how things should be done lol. What works best for u n dh do it
earthangel1967
by YVONNE on May. 3, 2013 at 1:59 AM

I voted both as she chooses but really feel it is something that should be discussed as a couple and they set up what they feel is fair together (IDEALLY BEFORE even marrying )  to make sure they are on same page.

I'd say if you both seem to love mowing the lawn then the most fair thing is to either take turns or else he mows half and you mow half

YVONNE

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 2:07 AM
I would say whatever the couple agrees on, but it sounds like your dh was just trying to piss you off a little bit. My husband has pulled the I said so line before, but not seriously.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Armywifeholcomb
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Lol sounds like he knows you enjoy it bc he was smiling and watching. Probably picking on you. My DH hates mowing but will do it. He's glad that I'll do it tho he doesn't Ever ask me to, I just do it.
ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on May. 3, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Your husband, (from this post and others), just flat out sounds like a dick. 

CameronsMommy23
by on May. 3, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Maybe he pulled reverse psychology on ya? Lol I say there are no only male or only female duties in the home. You can both split up the work and maybe rotate on chores that you enjoy doing. :)

Quoting BonitaM:

lol Sounds like he just wanted to get you heated. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)