Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

love dare opinion on schedule

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 1:01 PM
  • 11 Replies
ok im sure theres been a million posts about this book but...

ok 1.) dh is gone for 28 days home for 14. so my plan was to do days 1-14 when hes home then when he leaves kind of do it why hes gone days 1-14 over so we dont stop at all then when he returns do days 14- 28 nd then again why hes gone do them over or work on the ones we struggled w/. and so on. whats your opinion or how would you do it so that way we can still do it together and not loose track of progress why hes gone.

2.) how impressed were you with it. is there anything i should know before we start? i know its difficult we are up for a challenge :).

and finally you may ask/wonder why we decided to do the love dare. we have a good marriage we do struggle in some spots as do every couple we had a rough winter he was laid off because of winter for 4 1/2 mos we struggled financially and it put our marriage in a spot where we dont ever want to be again so we want to do
this to strengthen our marriage. and we both loved the movie fireproof.

tia :) sorry for any misspelled words bad grammer i am mobile and phones acting up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 5, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
holmes212
by on May. 5, 2013 at 1:24 PM
anyone
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillybug222
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 1:27 PM
If sounds like a great plan. I had a hard time following through on the dares. Life got in the way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
holmes212
by on May. 5, 2013 at 1:35 PM
thanks for your reply. i am hoping we can get threw the whole thing. im just hoping his sched doesnt interfere and that it works the way im planning

Quoting lillybug222:

If sounds like a great plan. I had a hard time following through on the dares. Life got in the way.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justpeachy71904
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 2:00 PM

i think every couple good or bad marriage should do it. just like i think every couple good or bad marriage should be open to counseling. we all have our downfalls we all have our moments. 

weddingcountdown.com

24clark
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 5:53 PM

I don't know how to help you with the love dare, but I can share what helped us build a fantastic foundation for our marriage. We joined a marriage enrichement group that met every week for 2 hours. We studied materials from Family Life Ministries. That was THE BEST THING we have ever done for our marriage. We were fortunate enough to have had that opportuniy at the beginning of our marriage. We based the foundation of our life on what we learned and it has helped us, not only when we have had arguments, but we have been celebrating our marriage ever since. Mind you we are approaching only our 2nd anniversary, but celebrate we do. We cherish each other, our marriage and treat it as a gift from God.

I do not know where you are at, but I would be willing to share some of the material we have from our group. We have PCSed since then and greatly miss our group. But we have kept all of our notes and learning materials. I can remember on day we were arguing back and forth through texts and emails and I was at home sitting on the bed with all of our books spread out before me using them to help us through our argument. It was so helpful and we remember that arugment very fondly. We continue to learn and grow our marriage, we nuture it daily. Speaking from experience, you can do loving things from afar as well. If you two are committed, your distance apart does not have to slow you down. It was the most rewarding thing that we have done for ourselves and our committments to each other. It is a living entity in our relationship. I encourage you both to do this. You will not regret it, not only will it be one of the best things you do for yourself, but for your marriage. 

Congrats on deciding to invest in your marriage! It is the best investment, next to investing in your relationship with God (at least with us it is) that you could ever do. Let me know if you want some materials. I could scan them and send them electronically or something like that. Good luck and much love! <3

holmes212
by on May. 5, 2013 at 7:27 PM
thats great. we dont have programs like that really and it is really hard to find a sitter if we did have groups none of our family really take our kids its like pulling teeth. we will be married for 5 yrs in july and i am excited because its our first "Big"celebration together. that would be great do they have a webite i could print from so you dont have to scan everything or a book?

Quoting 24clark:

I don't know how to help you with the love dare, but I can share what helped us build a fantastic foundation for our marriage. We joined a marriage enrichement group that met every week for 2 hours. We studied materials from Family Life Ministries. That was THE BEST THING we have ever done for our marriage. We were fortunate enough to have had that opportuniy at the beginning of our marriage. We based the foundation of our life on what we learned and it has helped us, not only when we have had arguments, but we have been celebrating our marriage ever since. Mind you we are approaching only our 2nd anniversary, but celebrate we do. We cherish each other, our marriage and treat it as a gift from God.

I do not know where you are at, but I would be willing to share some of the material we have from our group. We have PCSed since then and greatly miss our group. But we have kept all of our notes and learning materials. I can remember on day we were arguing back and forth through texts and emails and I was at home sitting on the bed with all of our books spread out before me using them to help us through our argument. It was so helpful and we remember that arugment very fondly. We continue to learn and grow our marriage, we nuture it daily. Speaking from experience, you can do loving things from afar as well. If you two are committed, your distance apart does not have to slow you down. It was the most rewarding thing that we have done for ourselves and our committments to each other. It is a living entity in our relationship. I encourage you both to do this. You will not regret it, not only will it be one of the best things you do for yourself, but for your marriage. 

Congrats on deciding to invest in your marriage! It is the best investment, next to investing in your relationship with God (at least with us it is) that you could ever do. Let me know if you want some materials. I could scan them and send them electronically or something like that. Good luck and much love! <3

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
24clark
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 8:44 PM

You can find information online about Family Life Minitries and their material. They have so much for many different areas, single moms, teens etc. Take a look and see what you can find. The group we went to was run by an older couple that was a part of Military Minitries, but they just happened to use a lot of the FLM material.The group was about marriage so...we watched Fireproof at one of our potlucks we held at the end of each 6 week topic.

I think the materials are a little bit pricey. So just let me know if you need for me to share. My email is 24clark@gmail.com if it isn't in my profile.

If you can get your hands on the DVD's "Laugh your way to a better marriage" we did that topic and it had me in stitches the entire 6 weeks. Anyway, I do not think you need to go outside your home to study and focus on the lessons and skills. You do need to dedicated and be committed to taking the time each week. Maybe after you get the kids to bed. Or go to the park and let them play while the two of you study. Our group met every Thursday from 6-8. When your hubby is out of town, use Skype or do independant study and Skype to review together.

holmes212
by on May. 5, 2013 at 8:53 PM
ya one thing i told him is we need to once we get the kids in bed (usually 730-8 latest 9) that we need to go down to our room to spend time like play cards, watch a movie, intamet time ( we lack in that area because i am so run down at the end of the day) and just time to be alone. that would likely be when our lessons would be.

Quoting 24clark:

You can find information online about Family Life Minitries and their material. They have so much for many different areas, single moms, teens etc. Take a look and see what you can find. The group we went to was run by an older couple that was a part of Military Minitries, but they just happened to use a lot of the FLM material.The group was about marriage so...we watched Fireproof at one of our potlucks we held at the end of each 6 week topic.

I think the materials are a little bit pricey. So just let me know if you need for me to share. My email is 24clark@gmail.com if it isn't in my profile.

If you can get your hands on the DVD's "Laugh your way to a better marriage" we did that topic and it had me in stitches the entire 6 weeks. Anyway, I do not think you need to go outside your home to study and focus on the lessons and skills. You do need to dedicated and be committed to taking the time each week. Maybe after you get the kids to bed. Or go to the park and let them play while the two of you study. Our group met every Thursday from 6-8. When your hubby is out of town, use Skype or do independant study and Skype to review together.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
holmes212
by on May. 5, 2013 at 9:13 PM
i cannot find the literature for the flm :/. also i have decided id like for dh&I to make a list of things we would like to change about ourselfs itd be a list we make ourselves about ourselves but also discuss how maybe one another could help us meet our goals. and also id like to do a list of what we would like to see ineachothe. the love dare book makes you do that i believe.

Quoting 24clark:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
24clark
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 9:18 PM

If you respond anything like I did, you will be revived during these times. Of course we were newly married too so that helped. Our marriage was and still is my favorite subject. I used to get giddy before and after our meetings. My friends said I would light up when I was sharing things we learned or anytime I talked about our meetings. I have longed to start a group of our own after PCSing because I really miss that time and the meetings. My girlfriend has many times told me to do it, just because of how I was when we talked about them.

I sometimes wonder if it would be possible to set something up online. We live so far out in the boondocks that it would be difficult to do something at a location somewhere. I might have to give it some thought and maybe get a couple of couples together for a test period to see if an online group is feasible.

butterfly on head

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)