Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love & Marriage Love & Marriage

Religion

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:05 AM
  • 42 Replies
1 mom liked this

Is religion a problem in your relationship?  Hubby is non practicing catholic and I am of a different faith and it is a constant battle.  I think it makes me a better wife but he absolutely hates it when I go to services or other church activities.  He dislike my church friends.  We've discussed it many times but he cannot give me a good reason why.  All I can think is that its part of his controlling personality and it's something he has not been able to keep me from.

by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SLTmom
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Nope.  He used to be a devout Catholic.  And then I got to him.  Now we're both lapsed Catholics...Muwahahahahahaha!

jlbelknap35
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Nope, we are both non religious.

CameronsMommy23
by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:23 AM
No, we both have our beliefs but we aren't necessarily religious per se.
AnGLInterrupted
by Kendall on May. 7, 2013 at 10:24 AM

We are the same religion so there's no problem.  Sounds like he does have controlling tendancies.  Have you talked to him about WHY he feels so strongly?  I assume you have already..  :\

Grown_woman2192
by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:28 AM
I wouldn't be married to someone who doesn't support my religious views/beliefs to begin with end of story. Now if u decided to go to church etc after marriage and he didn't support it...well id tell him to suck it up or leave lol
Hottmomma607
by Trica on May. 7, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Nope its not!

JJsmommy4evr
by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:40 AM

My DH was raised a Jehovah's Witness but at 18 he joined the Army and disassociated himself from the members. He went to the elders and informed them he no longer wanted to be a Witness, because their views no longer reflected his.

I am a Christian, but I have my own relationship with God without going to church. My beliefs are quiet and reflective as are his. I don't know if this will make sense but I believe in a higher power, but I don't believe in religion. I don't need to congregate to prove my faith.

I hope you and your husband can find peace and I commend you for not giving up what you believe to please someone else.

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on May. 7, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Religion is a huge breaking point and can be a bigger deal than a lot of people give it credit for if your faith is important to you. This is one of those things that needs to be hammered out before you get married though.

sprinkles9112
by on May. 7, 2013 at 11:00 AM

DH is a non practicing Christian (in fact anymore, he finds the title offensive) and I'm an atheist.  We actually get along pretty great. Once we start discussing the topic, we can go for hours just going back and forth on our views. 

Is your DH maybe a little jealous that you have something like that that you can turn to? 

jojo_star
by on May. 7, 2013 at 11:08 AM

No, not at all. I am Wiccan, Dh is non-practicing Christian, raised Catholic. Religion has never been a an issue for us in any way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)